Animal Protection | Teen Ink

Animal Protection

Does any innocent human being deserve to be abused? The answer is no. So why should animals on factory farms have to go through this pain? They feel and hurt too, as they’re living things. That’s why people should focus on animal protection on factory farms because the treatment is cruel and immoral.

First of all, animals suffer everywhere because of what people do to them. So hidden cameras are set up in all different factory farms all over to further prove the wrong that’s happening. For example, workers on a factory farm in Wisconsin are viciously kicking, beating, whipping the cows in the face, and leaving them sick and suffering from injuries and infections. They also dragged the cows by their legs and necks using chains attached to a tractor. The treatment is so bad and careless that it makes my stomach turn. Personally, I feel bad even killing a fly. Also stated on mercyforanimals.org, there were hidden cameras set up and workers caught in Alberta, McDonald’s exclusive egg provider, smashing in the heads of baby birds and tossing live chicks into trash bags to suffocate. Other dead hens were left in cages to rot with live hens still laying eggs for human consumption. Is this really where you want your food coming from? If this isn’t enough to change the way others see animals, then what about the quality of our food? Researchers say that the stress to animals greatly impacts the quality of the food we are consuming. I know I wouldn’t want to eat food if that’s where it came from.

Some people accept this outrageous treatment. Those people would say something along the lines of, “they’re dying anyway”. Which is true depending on what the animal is providing, but that does not make it okay to torture animals that are living and breathing. People don’t consider the importance of the animals and what they do for us. Like the hens or chickens that lay eggs for us to eat, or the cows that give us milk and beef. Others say that human life is a bigger priority than the safety and treatment of animals. Most of us need animals to survive and their lives are lacking the importance of ours.

Although everyone’s mentality is different, cruelty is immoral. I’d like to believe that nobody in their right mind would throw a bowling ball at pig’s head, or force-feed ducks for enlarged livers, or illegal slaughter, or skinning catfish alive. It’s hard to think that some of the people we live amongst would take joy out of any of those things. It can’t be healthy for the human mind either. It could develop more aggressive behaviors. Animals are probably getting more and more aggressive too, being around all this violence and toxic environments. It makes me wonder, how bad will this get in the future?

If the animals were treated better and brought up healthier, then that means our food would be better also. Better treatment would benefit both animals and humans. There should be laws governing the way animals are raised on farms. More farms should be like those that let the cattle roam free and graze on chemical-free grass. Farms should be like those that give each animal the respect they deserve.

There are already organizations, like the Humane Society or ASPCA, that fight against the cruelty. The negative energy used on these animals should fade away as positive energy should be enforced, such as what the farms stated earlier do. As animals’ natural existence is slipping away, people forget what they do to recycle nutrients and the agricultural importance. These issues go beyond the immorality and food quality; think about the species this is impacting. The conditions on factory farms now impact how animals reproduce.

In all, it is obvious that issues with animal treatment go far over amusement people get out of the cruelty. The saying ‘treat others the way you want to be treated” doesn’t have to just pertain to human beings. There’s a problem going on that could affect many things, change is needed. Give the animals treatment, respect, and care that they deserve.