Label Me | Teen Ink

Label Me

By missxniss BRONZE, East Meadow, New York
missxniss BRONZE, East Meadow, New York

Anything that involves the movie Anchorman.

For years now, namebrands have become more and more popular - as well as expensive. In my high school, I see several students in the hallways with extremely high-priced clothing, jewelry, etc. I'll be honest, it disgusts me. Our parents/guardians have hard-working jobs and most of the things you get are coming from your parents/guardians salary. Is that fair? When you become their age, would you like it if your children spent YOUR money? Because that's how it is. Why do we need all these expensive things? Girls of all ages walk around in UGGS. At Mandee's or Target, they have boots EXACTLY like UGGS, but we choose not to buy them, because it doesn't say the namebrand stamped on the bottom/back of the boots. I'll admit, I bought my first pair of UGGS last year with my own money that I EARNED from babysitting; and I still wear them even though they have some wear-and-tear on them. Let's face it, society is very much so based on namebrand materials. Some people just cannot afford these expensive things. Since when are shirts $24.99? Why are hoodies $45.00? Do jeans really need to be priced at $50.00? Is it fair? Of course not. Will there ever be a decrease in prices? Will there be an increase? Who knows? Unfortunately, people nowadays have to cope with this type of peer pressure to look good. And personally, I'm blind-sided to really... why?

When I went into middle school three years ago, my life did a 360 turn and I was completely and utterly stunned by why. As my years go on, I am trying to keep up with all the new fashion styles, etc. Apparently, it's not working too well. For most families, money does not grow on trees, so I basically "allowed" myself to "lower" my standards, so to say, and now I shop like anyone else, but rather than buying the most expensive things, I head for the clearance rack first. It's ridiculous to spend that much money on something. Let me know how you feel, please e-Mail me at missxniss@aim.com , I would like to know how you feel about my article.

WritingJulia SILVER, Binghamton, New York

"Kind words can be short and easy to say, but their echoes are truly endless." -Mother Theresa

I don't think the whole "name brand" idea is so crucial; as long as one feels confident in themselves' appearance it simply doesn't matter.  You can find very inexpensive "name brand" things on their clearance selections

KunaiNinjaFighter SILVER, Monticello, Arkansas

"Think left and thing right, Think low and Think High, Oh the thinks you can think up, if only you try!" Dr. Suess oh and "Two things are infinite: The Universe and Human Stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.'- Albert Einstein

I still don't understand why what people wear matters.

Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other

Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

*Sigh* If only I'd known of this before. When I came to Canada, I had no idea what "skinny jeans" were and went out and bought Guess Jeans for a 100 bucks because I didn't know any better. :P Now I shop more prudently, thank God. 

Nost girls at my school will buy a pair of jeans for $100 just cause they have a name brands on the butt, and a bunch a frays and holes in it. I say, if you want holes in your jeans (which I don't anyway) you can just go to wal-mart, buy some cheapo Riders, and a good pair of scissors (sp?). Then you can spend like, 30 minutes fraying your jeans and cutting holes in them

nextJKRowling BRONZE, Shorewood, Wisconsin

Yesterdays history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, thats why its called the present

But at the same time, Americans now a days are insanely self centered. No one will give up their Hollister or Abercrombie to give to charity. It is just not the norm. People would rather be ahead and richer then donate their hard earned money.Charity is just not high on peoples list.

And "Cody" has no control on what his moms chooses. Refusing to wear the clothing would b an even larger waste.

ReadingFanatic SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri

“Nobody important? Blimey, that’s amazing. Do you know, in nine hundred years of time and space I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important before.”

Calvin and Hobbes rock!!

Lestat09 BRONZE, Coon Rapids, Minnesota
1 article 1 photo 1 comment

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

i disagree with the cuteness remark, if it's cheap, ITS EVEN CUTER!!!

plus i 100% agree with this article, things are getting WAY out of hand

beautifuldisaster18, Arlington, Texas

Keep your feet on the ground, When your head's in the clouds.

Agreed! Clearance items are just as cute. The price does not determine the "cuteness".

emergingtalent SILVER, Riverton, Utah

Be who you are and say what you feel, Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind. -Dr. Seuss

wait, i did it again! i meant to reply but made a new post! i'm always doing that! sigh

emergingtalent SILVER, Riverton, Utah

because all knowledge comes from Calvin and Hobbes, that much I have learned!  =D

crushd SILVER said...
crushd SILVER, Mobile, Alabama

Every wound can be forgotten in the right light.

i agree with Cody980. some people where name brand because they like it. i myself wear name brand and my mother doesn't mind buying it for me. she herself wears name brand clothes that she thinks are suitable for her. sure, some kids wear it because they think it makes them look cool and that's lame and it shouldn't be that way. we should wear the things we like. if it's from a thriftshop or abercrombie so be it, as long as it's what you want to do.

everthought BRONZE, Vancouver, Other

"forever is the new now"
-anonymous

clearance rack FTW. also, thrift stores have very original clothing...hipsters FTW! ;)

ReadWriteBreathe PLATINUM, Pocatello, Idaho

"You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you" Tyler Durden Fight Club

I really like this article. I agree completely with you. Nice work.

ShelbyW. said...
ShelbyW., Glen Ridge, New Jersey

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when I know there are footprints on the moon."

As the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes" has taught us, "Brand name conformity is the American way to express individuality."

princess6 GOLD said...
princess6 GOLD, Berwyn, Illinois

"You choose your own destiny" :)

I shop anywhwere as long as the clothes is cute..who cares. But I agree some prices are awful like seriously why would i spend $15 on a solid tank top. But yesss  I sometimes do save up my money and buy something from Holister or abercrombie. BTW the clearance sections are pretty cheap in holister and abercrombie. ;)- who cares if there lst season!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JacintaT BRONZE, Brisbane, Other
Half of the time the non-brand clothing, is just as good quality as the expensive stuff. Everything is going to go through wear and tear eventually.

jschara94 SILVER, North Freedom, Wisconsin

"We still live! We still love! We shall die dancing in each other's arms!" -Dr. Faustus

Vintage and used is the way to go! I get compliments all the time on my clothes, and I usually buy them from goodwill.  I would rather go naked than have to wear those pastel polo's that EVERYONE else wears just because they're "cool".  Be unique.

simplysteph said...
simplysteph, Dallas, Texas

"When you laugh, the world laughs with you. When you weep, you weep alone."

[reply to Cody980]

At the same time, how would you feel if one day she wanted you to get a pair of jeans at Ross that looked exactly like ones you could get at Hollister? How would you feel about wearing a shirt that fit just as well that was lacking the huge "HOLLISTER" billboard across the front? Would you feel like somehow it wasn't as good?

Also, whether you like it or not, you are using her money in the long run, whether she's okay with it or not. Just think about it - if you saved $15 on every shirt and every pair of jeans you bought, and you had 20 total, you'd save your parents $300 that could be spent on insurance, food, electricity, water bills, medical bills, gas, and a number of other things. [To put it into perspective, a family of 3 could use that money to feed themselves for several weeks, maybe even a month.]

With the economy as it is, it's not smart to waste money just because someone gives you the opportunity to do so.

seraphinagreene BRONZE, Fargo, North Dakota

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

personally, i don't like people knowing where i got my clothes or being all like, "omg i have that same _____!" non-namebrands are unique 

Cody980 said...
Have you thought maybe people just like Hollister clothes, not because the price not for the acceptance but because they like the style of the clothing? I'm only 14 but i shop at Hollister and Aeropstale and American Eagle, not to "fit in" but because I like the polo's, jacket's and jeans. My mom chooses to buy my clothes for me, I'm not using her money she is "choosing"  to spend her money. No where does it say she HAS to buy me name brand's.