Real Beauty | Teen Ink

Real Beauty

By Liz Rosado Carrion BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Liz Rosado Carrion BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

For many years people have been wondering what beauty really means. Several people have said lies through their interpretations, but really there should be only one interpretation, and that is staying true to yourself. Unfortunately things like social media thinks otherwise, most of them display only one type of human form which is, thinness, body shape, tallness and having western facial features. Most humans aren't born this way and don't appear to be this way. We have variety of body types that are beautiful and the media and companies should make some adjustments to their judgement. This is because the image of beauty overtime has alternated, and so has the pressure to look “beautiful”, its almost as if it’s something fake or almost impossible to reach.“obesity is now seen largely as a lower-class trait, and thinness is more likely to be considered beautiful.”(Cengage Learning). This image has influenced women and men to change their appearance because they don’t think they passed the standard of being beautiful. Well let me tell you all out there that none of it is true if you look around it’s not very often you see people that qualify with this and if so it doesn’t matter because you as well meet that status of being ravishing.

Many years ago some people made these figurines that for them represented what elegance and delicacy looked like. They had big breasts, huge buttocks and wide hips. This body form has also taken great part in the modern days interpretations. Its caused millions of people to change their appearances with risky procedures that can harm them or even worse kill them. Such as plastic surgery, getting botox etc. Have you ever wondered why people do this? Well it’s all do to the pressure to be beautiful because we cause others insecurities, for example putting body fit, skinny people on magazines and saying things like “look at this body, oh how perfect, if you want a body like this then you should get in shape” now isn’t that helpful?. How about things that encourages others to gain their confidence again like “everyone is beautiful, be you”.

Even cultures have change their judgments of their definition. Some cultures such as Asia are insecure with their eyelids because of stereotypes and rumors about how it makes them unattractive, so millions of males and females in this culture have gotten eye surgery to make their eyelids wider. During the 21st century in China people did leg lengthening which is the process in which people take risks by making their legs longer just because they heard being short isn’t beautiful. Ia m a short person but i’m proud of who I am and no matter how others see me I will see myself the same way and they shouldn't have to feel they have to change themselves. But do to the pressure to be good looking, some got easily persuaded and did it as height became an important factor in beauty.

In an even more severe problem the effects of insecurity have gone to the next level. Many women are self harming themselves to ease the pain they have from within. After doing something this tragical to themselves they don't reveal their feeling they just hide them like they hide their cuts. Even worse many women and men kill themselves. If the world doesn't

what inspired me to do this artlicle is hearing and seeing people in the world suffering and changing who they are do to this image of being beautiful and this article was made so people see what we can do to fix it and what the problem is.

Marina Pineda BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Amazing liz. truly amazing topic and writing. great job. i think best piece youve ever written. lots of passion on the subject too.. again excellent jobbbbb :-)

SophiePelletier BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Too many people undervalue what they are and overvalue what they aren't"-Unknown

YAY LIZ!!!

Deda. BRONZE said...
Deda. BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." -Elbert Hubbard
I have a lot of favorite quotes, but I don't have enough space to write them all here.
And I just don't know..... so yeah. PEACE DUDES.

Yeah Lizzy!!