Perceptions of So Called "Beauty" | Teen Ink

Perceptions of So Called "Beauty"

By Sydney Morrison BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois
Sydney Morrison BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois

In this day and age, beautiful people surround us, and we can see them on every cover of every magazine, reality TV shows, and online in videos and pictures where they dance around in almost nothing wielding a sledgehammer and hanging from a large steel ball.

Wait. This is beauty? Or are these photoshopped preposterous ideas of beauty in our society? The latter is more agreeable I would say.

These ideal images of “beauty” are pushed upon us, and people (especially young girls) feel expected to look like these fantastic models everyday of their lives, when really, those models are airbrushed to fake perfection. Let’s see them really, and maybe then we will get a real understanding of what beauty is.

Beauty really, is flaws. A whole bunch of flaws wrapped up to make you you and how you embrace those flaws is beauty. Beauty is freckles, and being intelligent, and having a weird cackle/laugh, and breaking the “norm” our world has these days. Everyone is a skeleton underneath, but if you can adventure outside that categorization and make something weird, and crazy, and insanely beautiful of yourself, I think you are beautiful. Strive to be real and not so fake, because being fake never really gets you anywhere.
So, I guess I’m projecting that I don’t know why everyone can’t be a model, so we can truly realize and open our eyes to the fact of what beauty really is like, minus ten pounds of makeup.
Personality=Beauty
Flaws=Beauty

Thanks so much!

on Dec. 21 2013 at 1:10 am
fortheloveofwriting GOLD, A Place, Oklahoma

"Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~Pablo Picasso

Love is patient, love is kind; it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
1 Corinthians 13:4
A man's ways are his own, but the LORD weighs the heart.

I really like this!