Fashion Disasters: The Rise of The Dark Ages | Teen Ink

Fashion Disasters: The Rise of The Dark Ages

By Indra BRONZE, Royal Palm Beach, Florida
Indra BRONZE, Royal Palm Beach, Florida

"Some things should never be said, but written they shall be. For the permanence of Ink on paper shows much more worth than a word to be altered by the opinionated mouth."~ (me)

Recently, what with all the music videos on MTV and what not; the world of fashion in the U.S. changes almost every week. Fashion icons such as Drake, One Direction, Justin Bieber, Demi Lovato and Arianna Grande to name just a few have taken the nation by storm. However, not always is their fashion very acceptable.

In High school, which is the epitome of a teen's daily struggle to be popular or accepted; everyone struggles for a place. There's the prep, the swaggy (which I will explain later in this article), the skater, and the poorly dressed school hag.

I will explain these, the causes and the outcomes from these and how they affect the surroundings.

The Prep, Oh good lord spare me.

I'm sure we all know darn well who these are. This category is overrun by the female gender sorry to say. Commonly Identified with the expensive tailored and clean cut clothes. Lots of pink, cuteness everywhere. But behind all that professional looking clothing lies the inner b****. Except. She wears it like perfume. She will flatten you till there is nothing left. Yes, shoot me. I am calling it a stereotype because it is. These girls are downright evil! Acting really sweet under the eyes of teachers and administrators but once they catch a whiff of a new victim they will hunt you like a pack of hungry Hyenas. Normally, the root of all this concentrated overly pampered evil, is the spoiling parents. The apple can't fall too far from the tree now can it? These children, commonly originate from rich families and they will own everything that the middle class can only dream of gaining after retirement. They "go to church" most likely every other Sunday but they are no angels. These spoiled little brats have no sense of independence and will complain if they do not obtain their desired object. I have a preppy girl in my class who shall remain unnamed. She is very smart but very arrogant and obnoxious, I had an altercation with her near my first month of school and haven even looked at her since. I regret it because she seriously looks like the type who just wants a hug.

Our next contestant is the swaggy! (Do not use this word. It is not real and I just made it up for shnipps and giggles).

A common misuse of the word, Swag is a shorter version of the word swagger. Due to the misuse in music videos, the once so holy word used in couture and cocktail parties as a term for a small fancy gift; is now a horrifyingly fast growing trend of unoriginal and zombie cult following.

This. This is where all of the crap is coming from. Nicki Minaj, Bieber, Drake, One Direction, The Wanted and so many other people. These are the culprits. Well, not really but we all need someone to blame right?WRONG. Somehow, we went from decent and acceptable to nearly becoming an escaped hoodlum or prostitute. Rap and Hip Hop are rampant, so is the poorly mimicked sub culture of Dub Step and House music on today's radio. Teens these days are pretty much morphing into swaggy's every minute. Buying and mindlessly wasting their parent's money on clothing and decorations that are highly questionable. Ever since a new pop culture arose called "Hipster", teens just had to stretch it further and create "Swag"; which is just like the damn Hipster only more and more wrapped around the notion of acting like a little brat who thinks they're an adult, wearing expensive clothes and wasting productive time on puckering their lips till their face resembles an aquatic bird. You might say I'm picking on this particular culture, well yes, yes I am. I do admit, their fashion is pretty nifty. But the people wearing the clothes is what angers me. I have endless amounts of friends who dress and act like swag zombies. They will take pictures and post them on Facebook and get a ton of likes. Frankly I find it shallow but let them do whatever they like, not my concern. Normally, these children will force their weak willed parents into buying them these expensive brands like Aberacrombie,Nike, Vans and countless amounts of "Snap Backs" which are just caps that look like cereal bowls with a rim in pretty bright colors. They do not follow dress codes at school, if they do, they will do whatever it takes to bend those rules. Girls will dye their hair red with freaking Kool-Aid. Don't ask why, they just will. They see Arianna Grande do it on TV and automatically think it will look great on them, frankly they look like they just participated in the lollipop guild. It's indeed very tacky and come on, IT IS A DRINK! NOT A HAIR PRODUCT! Their attitudes will slowly morph to the clothes they wear. Arrogant, lacking in common sense and etiquette.

Then there's the Skater group.

Not very popular as they used to be, they still exist. These are some pretty nice people. Given, not very bright and they harbor some of the most colorful personalities I've ever seen. These kids come from mildly humble families. One of the very few fashion cultures who actually follow their name, these kids spend most of their time hanging out with their buddies at the skate park busting a pipe or their
face, it can really go either way. Most of these teens have very loose street fashion. A Tee with their favorite skating or sports company logo, some tight faded jeans with converse or Vans sneakers and they're good to go. They are classified by neck length hair either left natural color, naturally sun bleached or black. These kids will sometimes have some sort of facial piercing and will love you if you give them a rubber bracelet of some sort. Not really the crowd to be worried about since they are all pretty friendly and easy to approach.

The questionably dressed, sleazy one. Well then.

Okay, so this is a touchy subject but rather easy to explain so I will make it as brief as I possibly can. A sub culture led by candy haired Nicki Minaj, Gaga and those who shall remain unnamed. PERRY.

This group is just ridiculous. You have girls coming to school so awkwardly dressed, you'd wonder if they even have shame, (or parents for that matter).
Mini skirts that show their nether regions, such tight clothing that makes you think "Well, I've seen it all in less than two seconds." These girls will always get caught at the same time they aren't. These are the one's who steal your boyfriends both intentionally and unintentionally. Their parents couldn't afford to give to cents about what their child is doing or wearing, they just don't have that time. These poor children are ill behaved, profane and none the less appealing.

Please, feel free to state what you've seen in your school. We've all had our fair share of fashion scare.
Some schools just don't seem to enforce their own rules or just don't have the required people to make sure these aberrations are not allowed. Indeed, the media today glorifies sex, drugs and alcohol; but this shouldn't be the only source to blame. Parents and their children are to blame as well.
The parents should be responsible for the behavior and actions of their child and should be prepared always to say "No" and reprimand their child regardless of how much he or she says "I hate you."
The child is also guilty due to their mindless behavior. If you really want to be considered unique, why follow the crown and become invisible under the countless Drakes and Ariannas?

Needless to say, society is decaying very rapidly. The sheer thought that this generation will create a new one is rather scary. Fix it. Fix it now before it spawns.

Recent finds at my own high school that make me huff. I just really wanted to write something people could relate to and to receive comments from people all over the U.S talking about ridiculous trends in their school.