I Don't Hate Justin Bieber | Teen Ink

I Don't Hate Justin Bieber

August 23, 2011
By Studio_Riet GOLD, Tonasket, Washington
Studio_Riet GOLD, Tonasket, Washington
16 articles 0 photos 124 comments

Favorite Quote:
" Times you see, is a little arrangement that man has made for himself to try to measure the immeasurable mysteries of life." -Calypso to Ulysses (Bernard Evslin.)
"You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body" - CS Lewis


If Justin Bieber walks past a of children around 8 to 18 years of age, most of them would have one of two reactions: “Ohmigosh!! It’s Justin Bieber!!!” (Then perhaps some crying, or exclaiming their love for ‘their hero’), or they would say something along the lines of “ Oh [shoot]! It’s that [fag] Justin Bieber!” (Then make plans to ‘do away’ with him).

Give or take the amount of drama, the reactions are generally extreme love, or extreme hate. The latter ridicule the former without relent and the former attempt to defend themselves, often teary eyed and exasperated. The majority of people in the given age group feel either love, or hate for this young male singer.

Oddly enough, however, there is another category into witch one could fall, where your opinion of the pop-star mentioned has a much wider range of emotion. I simply call it “I Don’t Hate [Justin Bieber]”.

I find this reaction very rare, towards anyone, not just Bieber, for it is neither love, nor hate, but it is not indifference. It could be minor dislike, or a neutral respect; liking a little bit, but not enough for dramatic emotion: I don’t care much for [his] style; [She] can be over the top, sometimes. . .

I personally, never had a strong opinion of like or dislike (let alone love or hate). More awe, or surprise. Perhaps disgust, but for his fans and “haters”, not him. The first time I heard him sing, I was surprised that such a feminine voice from a male singer had so much popularity.

I didn’t hate him, though.

Over time, I heard other songs, and have even been in a few heated debates over Bieber’s popularity. I was never on the same side as the “Beliebers”, but never confessed hate, or joined any plots to kill him.

I thought he was over the top. Way to suggestive. To popular for his own good. I was suspicious of his age in relation to his personality.

That doesn’t mean I hated him.

True, he could be annoying. Kind of craze, even. I disliked how overly popular he is, but I also thought it was wrong how popular it was to hate him.

I still think that way, and I am not alone. A dear friend of mine frequently make statements about hating and/or loving Justin Bieber. On social network sites, and at school. I do not have her permission to quote her, else I would. We both ask own peers would react if we decided we were avid fans; what was wrong with liking him, even if only a little bit.


There are many people, things, ideas, etc. that I happen to dislike and/or disagree with. But that is no reason for me to rally others to hate it/them. I do not love Justin Bieber with any passion. I don’t care much for him at all. Ultimately, however, that is not important. What is important is that I don’t hate him. You shouldn’t, either.

The author's comments:
Just because I'm not head over heals totally crazy about Just Bieber means that I hate him.