21st Century Addictions | Teen Ink

21st Century Addictions

By KirstynAlexandra PLATINUM, Baltimore, Maryland
KirstynAlexandra PLATINUM, Baltimore, Maryland

\"I\'m selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can\'t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don\'t deserve me at my best.\"
— Marilyn Monroe

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein

You can't help but think that we as a people are addicts. We are addicts to the 21st Century; addicts to technology. Can we go a day without using technology? No. And if you say you can, then you're either lying or you're stuck in the 19th Century. So tell me, my fellow readers and writers, have you ever gone a day without using technology? I doubt it. We use technology everyday. Whether it's turning on the lights, heating up some Chef Boyardee in the microwave, or getting on the computer to watch people humiliate themselves on YouTube. We can't live without it!

I've heard my generation be called "The Lost Generation". And I hate to admit it, but it does kinda make sense. We spend hours on the computer, watching tv, or texting. We've gone from a time when spending time with family is the most important thing in the world, to making sure that we get on Facebook or tell everyone on Twitter that we have to pee. Crazy, huh? If you ask me, I completely believe that I am addicted. No, I am NOT a heroin addict and I DON'T snort coke, but I am able to let down my ego and admit that I am completely, 100% addicted to technology.

My views on the 21st Century and how they take place in our lives.

chezbona SILVER, Accra, Other

your wildest imagination is just the beginning,make the sky your starting point.
To a better world,
Chez bona.

you're damn right

— Marilyn Monroe

Albert Einstein

Lol right, twitter is dumb. Thanxz!

Just.A.Dream SILVER, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

Part of the J7X team. :)

I agree with your opinion, it's true. I couldn't survive a day without any of that stuff [besides Twitter...eww!]. Good job ezxpressing yourself in this article!

— Marilyn Monroe

Albert Einstein

Right, but i think that technology is beginning to consume our lives because it's what we're used to. We're not used to living in a world without it. And honestly, i think i would go crazy without my phone, tv, computer, etc. Thanxz for the comment!

— Marilyn Monroe

Albert Einstein

Yea, i agree with u. Technology is both a blessing and a curse

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

I agree, it's a very sad thing. I'm trying to cut down; however, I confess, it's difficult. I think that when it comes to the technology that most are obsessed with, the solution is the middle way. I doubt that the Amish are going about things the right way, but we are too consumed with technology. Technology has a good purpose, but it shouldn't dominate our lives.

toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

It's sad but true, we are very very addicted to Facebook, texting, TV, computer games. But I think it's just part of our lives today, there's no going back. And of course there are parts of the world where there is hardly any technology to be addicted to- and we call those countries developing because of it. Technology is a good thing, especially if it helps make life easier or healthier for people (I am not talking of Wiis, playstations, 3D TVs, super gamer computers and other pretty much useless technology)

— Marilyn Monroe

Albert Einstein

Lolz right, stay above the influence

— Marilyn Monroe

Albert Einstein

Yea, thanxz. I was thinking the same thing

partlycloudyholiday SILVER, Palmer, Alaska

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - by Theodor Seuss Geisel

Honest writing expressed in a powerful way. People do need to realize how dangerous it can be to be addicted to technology. This could even be expanded upon with a little research on internet addictions. There's evidence out there. You have the basis for a great persuasive essay in this piece.

mudpuppy BRONZE, Orangeburg, South Carolina

Life is like a box of cheese and flower petal sometimes it's soft and sweet, sometimes it just plain stinks. - M.J.

Okay, I admit it, I too am addicted to technology, NOT DRUGS OR ALCOHOL!