A Twilight Addiction:No longer in the Dark? | Teen Ink

A Twilight Addiction:No longer in the Dark?

SmileAndTheWorldWillSmileBack SILVER, Luton, Other

Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable.

Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater. - Albert Einstein

You must have been living under a rock for the past two years if you have not heard Twilight mentioned once. This epic vampire-human love story has managed to capture the imagination and attention of a colossal, worldwide fan base. Yet, the question still remains – How?

The film adaptations have forced the actors, Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner into unprecedented stardom; whilst the books have propelled the author, Stephenie Meyer into a whole different league of revered writers. You either love it or hate. But it’s clear that it has captivated the imagination of thousands of people. From teenagers, to the elderly, they are all endeared by the hypnotising love triangle.

The story’s 17 year old heroine, Bella Swan is an ordinary, shy teenager moving to a new town to live with her father, Charlie. The books are written from Bella’s point of view, an obvious attraction for fans. The readers are immediately able to relate to the character, her confusion and shyness are both emotions in which the character is brought to life. We have all felt these emotions and therefore have a basis to create our image of her on. She is brought to life with her human emotions and thoughts, and is made to seem more realistic and believable.

Then there are the vampires. Bella immediately falls for mysterious and handsome Edward Cullen. As every classic love story, Edward is exactly what Bella needs and just happens to be inhumanly beautiful, rich and very intelligent. Who could resist? As you read the books, in a way you become Bella, you feel her emotions and you think her thoughts. So when reading the vivid description Stephenie Meyer portrays of Edward, Bella’s unconditional love and attraction for him seems only rational.

As Bella so clearly realises Edward is too good for her, they both know that they are naturally forbidden from being together. This only deepens their love. Bella feels even stronger in love with Edward as she tries to hang on to him, whilst knowing it shouldn’t be.

The books are written for young adults, and perfectly fit into a teenager’s world. It explores new found emotions like realisation, desire and loss all commonly felt by teenagers. However as many books do, Twilight does not patronise and petty these feelings. It allows them to blossom and to give the reader the ability to fully relate to Bella.

The story’s setting of an indistinguishable small town in the midst of an immense forest enhances the mysterious, fantastical elements. The story can be used as an easy escape from reality into a world where the problems aren’t yours yet they’re there to observe and learn from. The vampire coven called the Cullen’s fit seamlessly into the human small town setting, appearing more humane than previous vampires. They are made to seem more realistic, when reading the books you can clearly imagine these vampires to exist in a tiny, insignificant pocket of America.

As for the obsession with the films actors, they extend the whole Twilight world. The books are addictive and fans can’t get enough of it, the films have only made the Twilight world grow.

As an avid Twilight fan, I'm always asked 'But why do you love it so much'. So here's my explanation.

thanks for all your comments...hope i opened peoples eyes up to twilight. More reviews welcome!

Just.A.Dream SILVER, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

Part of the J7X team. :)

I'm actually kind of in the middle, I don't hate it, but I don't really like it. Good job writing this review though! You had very good diction. :)

HeatherBee BRONZE, I Live In, Texas

Go on and try to tear me down. I will be rising from the ground, like a skyscraper

Love is louder than the pressure to be perfect

good review :) good opinion.

.Escape.From.This.Afterlife. GOLD, Short Hills, New Jersey

"bad blood is more satisfying to spill across the floor..."

The essay is exceptionally well written, and really began to give me a new perspective on the books.  You're very talented, though I am personally one of people out there who strongly dislike the whole Twilight fad, like you mentioned in your essay.  This essay, however, is so outstanding and convincing, I may very well give the series another chance.  Amazing work! 

on Apr. 26 2010 at 11:35 am

Let me know if you agree with me!