School uniforms | Teen Ink

School uniforms

Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

LoveDance said...
I think that we should have to wear uniforms because people talk about other people if they don't have on nice clothes and I think that, that isn't fair to the kids who don't have nice clothes on because they can't afford it. As teenagers we should understand that everyone isn't going to have the same nice clothes, so by wear uniforms will elimate so of the teasing each other or bullying each other because of what they have on. As teenagers we can find other ways to express ourselves like with our hair and our shoes that we wear is would also be alot cheaper beacuse we don't have to keep spending our money on the newest fashion.

shaylapurple16 PLATINUM, Hong Kong, Other

"Writing doesn’t mean deciding to sit still all of your life and think. Ideas come from living and experiencing life, and then stepping back to think." -Shayla

At my school we've been wearing uniforms from Kindergarten, all the way up to 8th grade. Then in High School, we can wear whatever we want. Honestly, I think it's okay to have a uniform. Our uniform just consists of a uniform shirt, we can wear whatever bottoms we want. It doesn't bother me much to have this. I actually think it's great, because people won't judge each other based on their clothes. Of course, being in Middle School kids will judge each other no matter what, but I think deleting that factor of "who's wearing the newest or coolest outfit" does help. Then again, maybe I've just gotten used to it :)  

windnguyen96 said...
windnguyen96, Bien Hoa, Other

I'm a kid and I want the WORLD !

I agree with u.....but...in my shool i must wear uniform :(

Crulz BRONZE said...
Crulz BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia

When I was young I had a quick sand box in my back yard to play with. I had 5 brothers and sisters. I never liked the sandbox. But I ended up loving it because, I was the only child... eventually.

I agree with what you say but you should check spelling.

dancegirl13 BRONZE, Roslyn, Washington
Personally, I don't think that wearing individualistic clothes to school makes it hard for students to learn what they need to. But I do know how hard, expensive, time-consuming, overwhelming, and nerve-racking it is to, every day, find an outfit that is 'cool', than come to school and compare and be compared to everyone else in the room based on my outfit. I think that if school uniforms were used, learning and living a less stressful life would be much easier for students, and peers would be able to break out of cliques easier.

dancegirl13 BRONZE, Roslyn, Washington
I agree! The stereotypes the writer used were offensive (ex. "goth kids wear black"). What's up with that? I would think that most teenagers in today's world are mature enough to see past these prejudices.

MindOfEllie BRONZE, Huntington Park, California
1 article 2 photos 1 comment

"I'm obsessively opposed to the typical." -Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta

I've worn uniform for 7 years of my life. I honestly can not wait til I can wake up and go to school in whatever I please. 

FintyH BRONZE said...
FintyH BRONZE, Crawley, Other
I agree with what MissElbowFan is saying, school uniform stops people judging eachother on what designer labels people wear :)

MissElbowFan BRONZE, Dorking, Other
uniform keeps everyone equal. u only have to wear it for about 10 years of ur life so i think it makes other clothes much more special

Emma Valley BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
I am sitting here in my school uniform and it is not as bad as you make it out to be.  Yes, you're right about eliminating creativity in clothing but uniforms are pushing you to be creative in other ways.  Looking the same as everyone else gives students a sense of comfort and family.

EPluribusUnum DIAMOND, Woodbine, Maryland

"I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
I lift my lids and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head)."
-Sylvia Plath

Ick! I hate school uniforms. It's too easy to for get that you're an IN-DI-VID-U-AL.

drake said...
i hate werein uniforms it sucks but u know everybody has to go through it

on Jan. 2 2012 at 9:15 am
AcrossTheUniverse BRONZE, Hondo, Texas

"Go confidentally in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've always imagined." -Thoreau

Uniforms don't necessarily limit creativity. In fact, fashion might be one medium of creativity, like art, dance, acting, sining, music, or writing (hello! we're on the website for writing teens). At my school, wearing a uniform doesn't place strict rules on the mind or create a learning environment on its own. People still put bows in their hair, fret over make-up, and hang bangs over their eyes. Many of my classmates goof off in class, not because they do their haair or make-up, but because they discuss what they did last weekend or discuss someone else's facebook status.

on Jan. 2 2012 at 9:10 am
AcrossTheUniverse BRONZE, Hondo, Texas

Not necessarily. Creativity can be shown in other mediums, such as writing (observe where we have commented.)

on Jan. 2 2012 at 9:07 am
AcrossTheUniverse BRONZE, Hondo, Texas

First, I have the same compulsive tendency to 'correct' people's writing (and I know I should calm myself on that front.) People can usually hide under a sterotype 'outfit.' If this is a first draft, it works.

on Jan. 2 2012 at 9:02 am
AcrossTheUniverse BRONZE, Hondo, Texas

I like your view and your cynicism. However, your view on uniforms is a bit biased. Have you ever had to wear a uniform? People in my school (where we wear uniforms) still follow crazy trends on their free time. Uniforms don't necessarily stifle that.

on Jan. 2 2012 at 8:55 am
AcrossTheUniverse BRONZE, Hondo, Texas

I wear uniforms at my school and most people hassle over what accessories to wear and make-up to apply. I have found in my personal experience that wearing a uniform does not limit one's personal selection of accesssories or any other embellishments.

on Dec. 25 2011 at 10:44 am
Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri

life isn't passing me by, it's trying to run me over!

I agree, but it was an interesting topic. Keep writing!! Please vote and comment on mine!

abnormal PLATINUM, Jonesboro, Georgia

Truth is eternal. Knowledge is changeable. It is disastrous to confuse them.

-Madeleine L'Engle

I agree, but it wasn't persuasive, and the grammar and spelling and puncuation was off.  I can also see why others would like uniforms, and you should have addressed the counteragrugement.

Person said...
I actualy wouldn't mind having school uniforms. That way the rich kids would lose a way to make other people feel inferior, and I wouldn't have to spend ten minutes searching for anything that's clean and not an ugly giveaway T-shirt.