Children under 11 shouldn't have social media | Teen Ink

Children under 11 shouldn't have social media

February 26, 2024
By Anonymous

   Our society focuses too much on social media and technology instead of on kids having a normal childhood. Kids under the age of 11 shouldn't have social media, as it is extremely harmful to their mental health and their growth. Besides being harmful to their mental health, it takes away their innocence and childhood. Kids stop playing outside and start sitting inside rooting on their phones. Kate Eshleman, PsyD says “Most people put on social media what they want you to see. And by using social media, all of us can access endless information anytime we want, which can be very hard for kids.” Social media affects even adults and giving young kids full access to the world is extremely dangerous and has no concrete outcome.

     One study shows that children younger than 11 years old who use Instagram and Snapchat are more likely to have problematic digital behaviors like having online-only friends and visiting sites parents would disapprove of, as well as a greater chance of taking part in online harassment. When growing up, People can't fully comprehend what they are saying. Things people say online can stay with them forever when they are at this stage in their life and still might not know right from wrong. 

     Additionally, It's substantially important to protect kids' mental health and innocence. Social media and growing up have changed majorly even in the last couple of years; there are fewer and fewer kids playing outside, running around every chance they can get, and more kids sitting inside on their phones, barely disconnecting from the world. It's not healthy for any age, especially when people are young it's extremely damaging. It has more negatives than positives. 

       The first factor that has caused an increase in suicide prevalence rates among teens on social media is overuse. A ten-year longitudinal study at BYU discovered that teenage girls who spent two to three hours daily on social media at age 13 were at a higher risk for suicide as young adults. The survey also found that 97% of children as young as 12 are now on social media. Despite almost 70% saying that social media makes them feel stressed, anxious, and depressed – with two-thirds saying they were worried by the amount of time they spend on social media. 

     These studies and negatives should be discussed more and shown to parents and young children. Social media is presented as an enjoyable free place where they can communicate with friends and gain insight into other's lives, but it can also be extremely damaging and end your childhood before it should be, how childhood is seen has dramatically changed with the growing of social media; kids would rather spent hours on social media than go out and experience their youth. The damage and effects of young people on social media are endless and keep expanding.