Why Poker-sized Photo Cards Cost Chinese High School Students So Much | Teen Ink

Why Poker-sized Photo Cards Cost Chinese High School Students So Much

February 14, 2024
By Laurieysh BRONZE, Shenzhen, Other
Laurieysh BRONZE, Shenzhen, Other
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
The best is yet to come.


Suri Yu, a 16-year-old high school Chinese student spent 210 yuan (29.7 dollars), seven times of the original cost, on a photo card of her favorite K-pop idol in September.
The poker-sized cards often come as freebies of the albums or official merchandize of K-pop idols. They are treasures for K-pop fans like Yu.
To secure the specific one that features Woonhak, a member of the K-pop group named BOYNEXTDOOR, Yu had to wait for over three months for it to be shipped to China from South Korea.
“You simply can’t imagine how gorgeous that photo card of him in the school uniform looks!” Yu said, “I am in desperate need of that photo card."
Yu got to know Korean culture on April 16, 2020. Back then, she was fascinated with Wonyoung from the group IZONE, which became the now famous IVE. “Over 1,300 days, I have loved Wonyoung so much,” said Yu.
Yu spent more than 500 yuan on collecting photo cards or other fan merchandise almost every month. She would also go to concerts and watch the official recordings.
“I don't think there’s anything wrong about following K-pop idols has any psychological consequences. It’s just me using my pocket money for happiness,” Yu said.

“This is me doing something for the love of it. You would not understand it!” she added.
Yu gained a great deal of strength from fanboying. According to her, the atmosphere among the group members inspired her and made her feel warm too.
By following the K-pop stars, Yu changed the way she viewed dancing and music, the two things she wanted so much. She was even more appreciative of the K-pop idols because of they lived an entirely different life.


A moment that GC would never forget was at a halftime show of a basketball game on her 11. That's when the high school Chinese student first got to know K-pop.
“Ever since watching that show, I have been uncontrollably obsessed with K-pop,” GC laughed, “Every day, I watch it. If I do not do that, I will die!”
A photo card of Karina, a member of the now trendy K-pop band Aespa, cost GC 650 yuan.
"So what? I don’t really care about the original cost of the card. I bought it right away when I saw another person selling it, because I missed chance to buy it the first time I saw it,” she said.

“I think spending 650 yuan for one photo card is okay for me. I remembered that I once spent 2,200 yuan for an unpublished signed Polaroid. That was crazier,” GC added with a smile.
For the past seven years, GC’s obsession with K-pop grew. She would follow K-pop idols nonstop, shell out cash for album extras, attend live events, and sign up for chat services where K-pop idols told details about their lives.
GC’s parents showed support of their daughter’s hobby by paying for these activities.
“I would confess that following K-pop idols has been really beneficial to me. It serves as a cornerstone of spirituality for me every day,” She said, “Life is full of negativity. I like to visit them and purchase their cards when I'm anxious, because it helps me feel a lot better.”
Hallyu attracted GC a lot.
“Following K-pop idols is part of my life; I will not and never forgive it.”


The author's comments:

Contemporary Chinese high school students are deeply influenced by K-pop, from which they try to draw spiritual sustenance. Willing to pay more than the photo card is worth as a bonus on a physical album to buy it. Most of my friends are deeply influenced by K-pop.