TikToker Drew Afualo Takes Down Misogynists One Cackle at A Time | Teen Ink

TikToker Drew Afualo Takes Down Misogynists One Cackle at A Time

By httpshaylee GOLD, Arvada, Colorado
httpshaylee GOLD, Arvada, Colorado

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day"

Drew Afualo is undoubtedly one of the most well-known TikTokers on the app as of late, and for good reason too. From her well-known and distinct cackle in each of her videos to the way she effortlessly trolls haters, there is certainly no better person to be the voice for women on the app than Afualo herself.

The 26-year-old Samoan woman started her TikTok back in March of 2020 when the pandemic went into full swing. Encouraged by her boyfriend to post onto the app due to her quick wit and lovable personality, Afualo proves that there was an audience eagerly waiting for her arrival as she saw quick success.

Now with over 7.3 million TikTok followers, the creator reaches a massive audience every day by humiliating transphobes, fatphobes, and most notably, misogynists.

Trolling the trolls
Afualo’s TikToks are one-of-a-kind in that she is not afraid to destroy her haters using barely any effort at all. They make it so easy for her to tear them apart as more times than not, these misogynists completely contradict themselves and all she has to do is sit there and point it out.

What she does are known as “clapback videos,” where she takes everything said and simply flips each statement on its head, hilariously embarrassing these misogynists along the way. Afualo has made herself the spokesperson for women everywhere as she is unafraid to speak her mind and shows that every woman can and should do the same as well.

It’s not hard to see the immense love people have for her on the app. The comment sections on just about every misogynistic video are flooded with people tagging her in hope of her seeing and posting about it.

The goal of these videos
As much as misogynists love to think her videos get boring or she just combats the hate with more hate, what Afualo does is game-changing. She is an advocate for learning and dismantling ourselves from the patriarchal society we are accustomed to. Afualo wants to help undo the internalized misogyny so many people have within.

This job, however, is not and should never be completely on Afualo and she is aware of that. It is not her duty or problem to help an entire society unlearn internalized misogyny. She is simply an aid to help people get there. She calls it out, but it is on the individual to learn and spend their own time fixing this problem.

Final thoughts
Drew Afualo is exactly what we needed right now. She is unapologetically herself and shows that nobody should waste a second thought on haters. She is funny, quick on her feet, and effortlessly likable.

She is slowly but surely destroying misogynists on TikTok and we cannot thank her enough for it. Afualo is taking a stand for women on the app and doing a perfect job at it. If you listen hard enough, you can hear her menacing laugh the next time you, unfortunately, have to come across a misogynistic video on TikTok.