Sustainable diets | Teen Ink

Sustainable diets

By dua_azhar23 SILVER, Lahore, Other
dua_azhar23 SILVER, Lahore, Other

In today’s society we hear the word ‘sustainable’ coming in almost every single conversation. With climate change, global warming, pollution and extinction rates at an all-time high there is a dire need for us to move towards more sustainable solutions in all aspects of our everyday lives. Just like every other part of our life food is something that needs to be made sustainable both to provide food to the millions of people malnourished at the moment as well as to reduce the amount of greenhouse gases released from the production and processing of certain types of foods. We face major issues in practically every country throughout the world as a result of our dietary habits. Whether it's malnutrition or obesity, global development initiatives in areas like poverty and disease are in jeopardy. However, what we consume endangers the climate, as well as life on land and under sea.

Global diets and food systems, as well as the populations who rely on them, are facing serious health and sustainability concerns, which are expected to worsen — According to models, half of the adult population and one-third of the total population will be overweight or obese by 2030 if global eating patterns do not shift away from current diets toward dietary patterns that are more rich in plant-based foods. Many people in middle- and high-income countries, as well as wealthier people in developing countries, consume far more meat and other animal-source foods than is required for nutrition alone, putting human and environmental health at risk. Much of it is produced in an unsustainable manner. As many species are fished to critical limits or beyond, overfishing threatens not only our fish stocks, but also the entire ecosystems of the oceans. Too many of the crops we consume are produced on newly converted land and are not subject to nature-friendly production practices that safeguard soil and water health.

There is no overlooking the fact that the food we consume is heavily impacted by the culture and traditions of the society we come from there are certain changes that we as individuals need to make in order to live sustainable and ethical lives. It is extremely important to think about the food that we consume because of the fact that food production accounts for over 30% of worldwide greenhouse gas emissions, with the livestock industry accounting for nearly half (14.5%) of these emissions. It is the main factor endangering the extinction of species, occupying around 40% of world area and using 70% of freshwater. In lakes and coastal locations, it causes eutrophication (nutrient overload) and dead zones. Lastly it has resulted in the majority (60%) of world fish stocks being completely fished or overfished (33%) leaving behind only 7% that are under fished.

The food system must feed people while also protecting the environment, yet it is now failing on both counts. Nearly 700 million people are hungry, nearly 2 billion are obese or overweight, and we are losing touch with nature at a disastrous rate. People have historically changed their diets due to medical reasons, to stay in shape or to lose weight and while everyone can still diet because of these reasons it is extremely important to change dietary habits due to environmental reasons as well. The following changes can be made to our dietary habits to help the environment:

1.      Consume sustainable foods – learn about your food's origins, look for certified items, and explore local or organic options. You can make better selections about quality, freshness, and nutritional value if you know where your food was grown and produced. Your purchases can also help to support local economies.

2.      Eat more plant based foods than animals - you don't have to go vegan to eat more plant-based meals, but you should eat a higher proportion of plant-based foods than animal-source foods. Adopting vegan helps to minimize climate change and protect our global food supply by preventing deforestation, soil degradation, and greenhouse gas emissions related with animal production.

3.      Eat nutritious, minimally processed foods - fresh ingredients are best, but shelf-stable and pre-packaged foods are acceptable. Foods that are unprocessed and sourced locally, such as whole fruits and vegetables, have a lower carbon footprint, produce less waste, and are healthier. Minimally processed vegetarian foods have also been determined to have one of the lowest environmental impacts, according to a study

4.      Consume a diverse and well-balanced diet; too much of any one food is bad for you and the environment. Consume a variety of foods from various dietary groups and within those groups. Eating a diversified range of foods benefits ecosystem services while also making farming systems and communities more resilient.

5.      Check your National Dietary Guidelines and look for solutions that are both healthy and sustainable. Being aware of dietary guidelines and how your particular country is promoting sustainable eating can be an extremely important step into ensuring that the food that you consume is good for the environment.

Dietary changes are critical, and every one of us has the ability to contribute to the world we desire. Our plates hold the power, so fill them with healthy foods and help in building a global movement to harness the power of environmentally friendly diets. The time for discussion is passed. It's now time to start taking action and help make the world a better place.