Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

By bkidd47 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
bkidd47 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana

Have you ever wondered why dystopian literature is experiencing such a rise in popularity today? The reason why is that dystopian literature entertains readers and it also has interesting topics that could be realistic, but fictional.  The age group can range as low as 10 to 11 years old. A dystopia has the same characteristics as a utopia, but just has a negative vibe to the story. Equality, use of technology, and “perfect” societies are three reasons why dystopian stories continue to rise in popularity with readers.

In Harrison Bergeron there are many examples of Equality. All this equality was due to the 211th, 212th, and 213th Amendments to the Constitution, and to the unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Handicapper General. Which this means is that nobody is stronger, quicker, better looking, and smarter than each other from the amendments. "Why don't you stretch out on the sofa, so's you can rest your handicap bag on the pillows, honeybunch." Every person who has a handicap has to wear heavy weights around their body.

In the Veldt there are many examples that the Technology is taking over the world. “Lydia, it’s off, and it stays off. And the whole damn house dies as of here and now. The more I see of the mess we’ve put ourselves in, the more it sickens me. We’ve been thinking of our machine assisted selves for too long. My God, how we need a breath of honest air!” When you have too much technology in their house you would shut off your TV, Phone, or Video games to escape from them. “That sounds terrible! Would I have to tie my own shoes instead of letting the machine do it? And brush my own teeth and comb my hair and give myself a bath?”  It is bad that machines tie your shoes or brush your teeth for you. It's not that hard to them both. They are really spoiled with that kind of technology.

In Ten with a Flag, the world is not perfect. They can’t pick out their own clothes, their are flags that mean something is wrong with that person, and much more. ”My wardrobe had picked out a deep-blue chiffon evening gown for me.” They can’t pick out their clothes because when they try they can’t match the colors of their clothes. “I’ve just one question, though. The flag? How can there be a flag with a rating of ten?” When people see that they have a flag it means that their kid could have a disability. With the disability you would have to take sacrifices for it, in which you have to work more hours a week to support your kid.

Dystopian literature is gaining in popularity since people strive to live in a perfect community.  These stories let the readers escape from their own reality, in such everyone is not the same at all. When reading this literature, some people might interpret it a little different way than another person would.  Using technology for everything takes away a person’s ability to think for themselves. Readers might enjoy the idea that they don’t have make many decisions regarding daily decisions. Dystopian literature is rising in popularity today because it entertains the reader and it offers interesting topics that are realistic which keep the readers entertained.