Music Has Charms | Teen Ink

Music Has Charms

By HaleyWilliams BRONZE, Peru, Kansas
HaleyWilliams BRONZE, Peru, Kansas

Friedrich Nietzsche once said, “Without music, life would be a mistake.” Try and imagine a world without music. You can’t. Music is very magical and can make you feel numerous ways. I believe that music can make anything better. At least in those few minutes that it is playing. It takes you on a journey and causes any problems to vanish in those few minutes.

Whether you are performing music or listening to it, you will feel a burst of happiness. On the other hand, come can even remind us of things that can make us sad or even angry. Music doesn’t only make us feel better mentally, but physically as well. Science has shown that as we listen, the music works on our autonomic nervous system, which controls blood pressure and heart rate. Music has been used as with therapeutic purposes for ages. One of the first reports of the therapeutic effect of music is found in the Bible: David played the harp to heal King Saul’s depression. Music therapy employs specific elements like sound, rhythm, tempo, harmony, dynamic, and melody to encourage movement, positive interactions, and improve emotional or cognitive states. It also influences our limbic system that manages our feelings and emotions. Music affects us all in many different ways. It can make you cry, make you angry, but altogether music has a very positive role in our lives.

There is music for any type of mood you are in. I listen to my music on an app named Spotify. They have hundreds of different genres and playlists for any mood you may be in. If you are in a great mood and feel like jamming out, put on your favorite pop artist, like Rihanna, and sing at the top of your lungs. There is even music for if you are studying and you want to relax and focus. They have playlists with classical music to help you concentrate. Heartbreak is another reason a lot of people listen to music. There are the people who sit in their rooms and wail to music like “All By Myself” by Celine Dion or there are the ones who scorch all the pictures and clothes while listening to Beyonce singing about how “You ain’t sorry.” There are many options to make you feel like you are on cloud 9!

Music improves my mood and uplifts my spirit. I enjoy almost every genre of music. Indie, for example acoustic songs, and R&B are what I prefer to listen to. Yes, they are very different genres but they help me when I am down. My favorite Indie band is Passenger. Their songs are very slow and the words relate to me a lot of the time. I will lay down and relax while playing their new album. When I'm feeling good and pumped up, I will usually listen to songs by my #1 girl Beyonce, Rihanna, or Drake. The beats to their songs lift me up and brighten my day! Every night I will listen to my playlist named “Chill” on Spotify. It is a mixture of acoustic and songs that spark a lot of emotion. I unwind every night while listening to my favorite music!

Without music the world wouldn’t be able to express itself the way we are able to today through song. Every note and lyric can capture one’s emotion and heart and change their day for the better. It helps us escape the reality we live in and travel to a different world. I truly believe that music heals us.