Top 10 Hardcore-Genre Songs | Teen Ink

Top 10 Hardcore-Genre Songs

By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida

Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater

Hardcore can technically be defined as anything. Though most of the time it's used to describe some of the heavy mainstream metal or rock bands that I bet alot of us may know such as the obvious Falling In Reverse, Sleeping With Sirens, etc., we're not going to be talking about those today however. I will be including any genres that may fall under this category, though expect this to be mostly metalcore driven.
10, Sequoia Throne-Protest the Hero, we begin with a Mathcore based band. If you don't know what that is, it's basically what happens when you take Dream Theater, shorten their song lengths and give a hardcore edge to it. Sequoia Throne is often times one of the go-to tracks for the band coming from the album Fortress. I should add it is chaos all throughout.
9, Rain-Trivium, a melodic metalcore/Thrashcore band makes it here next. Coming from the album Ascendancy, this is all bark and all bite with some almost obvious elements of say Metallica or Slayer or any Big Four band elements. All it is is just four and a half minutes of in your face.
8, Laid To Rest-Lamb of God, more of a groove metalcore type band, this comes off of what's arguably their best selling album and often a go-to as well. I remember back in the days of 2010, I played Guitar Hero: Smash Hits and this was on it. A few years later, I finally came back to this song and it sounds a tad bit better now. Speaking of which, Lamb of God will be releasing a new album this year so you have something to look forward to.
7, Mario Medley-Powerglove, I could be wrong with the title there, sorry. Powerglove is a Nintendocore(yeah that's a thing) band that likes to shred and play in more of a classic metal style while reliving the memories of the 80s video games like Mario, Megaman and Contra. You basically get an entire musical walkthrough of the game by playing the main theme, the Bowser's castle theme and more. Also, it's yet another nostalgic song.
6, Parallels-As I Lay Dying, from 2011, this is melodic metalcore when it became a more popular thing. No matter, there were still some good songs and bands coming out at this time. It's not exactly the best melodic metalcore band at all, but they are pretty cool.
5, This Calling-All That Remains, the first track from the album The Fall of Ideals. This along with Overcome's Chiron, were what introduced me to the band and sadly, they haven't gotten much better since Overcome. This is yet another song that is more nostalgic but nostalgia is not everything, it still has to be good today for it to qualify.
4, Waking The Demon-Bullet For My Valentine, to be honest, it was a toss up between this or Tears Don't Fall. The fourth track from their second album, Scream Aim Fire, is sort of cliched, especially the music video for this, but is still a fun track to listen to even today. And it's still partially influenced by nostalgia.
3, What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse-The Black Dahlia Murder, yet another metalcore based band. Well, ok, it partially qualifies because it's either metalcore or melodic death metal. No matter, the first track from the album Nocturnal, this is filled with blasting drums, galloping guitars and bass and some pretty feral vocals and lyrics. The lyrics themselves are more of the subject of nightmares, thus the title.
2, Embedded-Job For A Cowboy, I'm not really a deathcore listener or fan, but I have to include deathcore somewhere. How about something that sounds more like death metal? Coming from their album Genesis, this is the first song I've heard from them and it's not even the go-to song, not even close. That title goes to Knee Deep. About politics and the conspiracy theory of there being a new world order ready to take over, I'm suprised not many bands have touched upon this. Then Demonocracy was released in 2012 and they changed to Death Metal.
1, The Arms of Sorrow-Killswitch Engage, the most melodic of melodic metalcore bands EVER, Killswitch Engage take the number one spot with one of their most clean tracks ever. The third track in the 2006 album As Daylight Dies and a single, this is not exactly what introduced me into the band, that would be My Curse, but it suits my style the best of all hardcore bands on this list. The music video doesn't make any sense though. Oh, and Howard Jones was also in the band at the time, unlike their 2013 album which is still decent.

Bet you didn't see this one coming, did you?