Top 10 Metal Anthems | Teen Ink

Top 10 Metal Anthems

By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida

Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater

What is an anthem actually? To me, an anthem is something that is commonly played in concerts and shows and used to represent more of a sing along or for the more extreme, thrashing your head as fast as the music allows you to. While not every song in your average show for said band is like that, that doesn't mean there isn't any. You know the rules: Only songs I've listened to and one per band or artist.

10, Carolus Rex-Sabaton, having to do with King George III I believe and his reign of terror towards Russia, this is the song that got me into Sabaton in the first place. Now, some may argue that Swedish Pagan or Primo Victoria deserve this spot on the list, I feel Carolus Rex does more justice as an anthem.

9, Thrasher-Evile, the British are finally coming once again. Except this time it's in the form of thrash metal. Evile have always been a group to try and step up their game especially when compared to their collegues like Violator, Suicidal Angels, Warbringer, Municipal Waste, Havok and a couple others in the line of new wave thrash. Thrasher is a good example of this because it's fast, heavy, and literally talks about everything that thrash metal is all about in just three minutes.

8, Peace Sells-Megadeth, While some may argue and say Tornado of Souls or Symphony of Destruction deserves a spot here, I say otherwise.(It's my list after all.) Peace Sells is literally asking if we can just settle anything and everything with some sort of peacemaking. This is suprising coming from yet another thrash metal band, especially one that likes to poke fun at political stuff.

7, And The Story Ends-Blind Guardian, the last track of Imaginations From The Other side is very anthemic and holds its weight all on its own. It makes sense to be honest that the final track to the album is very anthemic and fast because you need to go out strong in some way.

6, Pull Me Under-Dream Theater, when you think Dream Theater and anthem in the same sentence, you think that you have bad grammer. Here I am proving you wrong. Pull me Under is the first single and first track from Images and Words, and it is AWESOME! Much like Sabaton's Carolus Rex, this was the song that got me into Dream Theater. Do I really need to say more here?

5, Bonded By Blood-Exodus, I've noticed alot of my favorite anthems come from Thrash Metal bands. I guess it makes sense because that's most of thrash anyways. Bonded by Blood is the first track off of their 1985 album of the same name and has everything people like about thrash. This was also a time before Kirk Hammet was ever in Metallica so you can hear his solo in here as well. They also decided to remake this later on and made it more bloody, gorey, and heavy with the new version.

4, Mass Hypnosis-Sepultura, yet another thrash band taking stage. Mass Hypnosis is the fourth track from the 1989 album Beneath The Remains and has been covered many atime. It's straight up four and a half minutes of speed thrash, with Max's guitar skills, Igor's blast beating drums, and some face-melting solos. There are even some melodic guitar work here and there which makes it sound more like Brazilian tribal music.

3, Sanctuary-Cavalera Conspiracy, I promise this is the final thrash song to make it on this list but let's move on. Sanctuary is the second track and the single off of Brazilian/American death/thrash band Cavalera Conspiracy's Inflikted. This starts with a fast, thrashy, and very head bang worthy riff and continues this throughout the entire song slowing down in the middle so you don't get a whiplash. I might still prefer the likes of Nevertrust, Hex, Inflikted and The Doom of All Fires but none of them are as anthemic as this.

2, White Walls-Between The Buried and Me, some might argue that this doesn't count as an anthem because of its length of 14:13. I say otherwise because music shall make no boundaries. I mean Blind Guardian has a single that's 14 minutes called And Then There Was Silence from A Night At The Opera but that's beside the point. Especially when you get to the last five/six minutes of the album does it then become more anthemic especially the White Wall brutal chant and the magnificent ending in the last threee and a half minutes or so. Easily my favorite BtBaM song right now. Let's see how the pull off Coma Eliptica though.

1, Storytime-Nightwish, the literal definition of Metal Anthem lies within this song. You knew I was going to put Nightwish here at some point didn't you. I practically praise this band to exceedingly high standards it's not even funny. Storytime is the second track and the single from the album and motion picture Imaginarium. Telling excepts and retellings of popular fairy tales like Peter Pan for example this is one of my favorites from Nightwish in terms of where it whould be in my favorite Nightwish songs.

Honorable Mentions

Souls of Black-Testament

Are You Dead Yet?-Children of Bodom

Ultra Thrash-Crisix

Battery-Metallica

Black Metal-Venom

Shining Moments-Galnetyus

Testify-Rage Against the Machine

Empire-Queensryche

UxFxTx(United For Thrash)-Violator

Never Enough-Epica

Dawn of Victory-Rhapsody of Fire

The Other Side-Sirenia

The Scarecrow-Avantasia

Through The Fire and Flames-Dragonforce

Tears of A Mandrake-Edguy

Walk-Pantera

Beneath The Waves-Ayreon

Demon of the Fall-Opeth

Anthem-Iced Earth

March of Mephisto-Kamelot

I am the Grim Reaper, signing off.

Anthems are just a great thing to have. They can make you feel what they are portraying in the song.