Mockingjay Movie Review and Comparison to Book | Teen Ink

Mockingjay Movie Review and Comparison to Book

December 5, 2014
By Kaohu BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
Kaohu BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Katniss Everdeen, the girl who was on fire, you have provided a spark, that left unattended, may turn into an inferno that destroys Panem.” President Snow was correct, Katniss has started a conflagration that will collapse and destroy The Capitol of Panem. The movie and book were both good but I recommend watching the movie than wasting time reading the book.

There were many differences between the movie and the book other than one of them was on a screen. The movie forgot a lot of parts and is inaccurate to the actually story. A great example is Effie Trinket. Nowhere in the book proves that Effie Trinket was the stylist of Katniss Everdeen. The stylists of Katniss Everdeen in the book were actually Flavius, Venia, and Octavia were the actual stylists. Another inaccurate event was when Katniss was in thirteen earlier than she was supposed to be. In the beginning of the movie they messed it up because in the book, Katniss started off getting off the hovercraft in District 12, but it started with her hallucinating in thirteen saying she had a nightmare. I would have left the movie scene just as it was. It was really suspense building like “ohh god what is going to happen next, what is wrong with Katniss? Is she going to get batted in her head to get her to sleep so that she can recover.” That is what the movie entrance made me think. I was all excited when that happened. Although, that event was inaccurate, it was had choke action. The blowing up of the Peacekeepers in District 7 the lumber district was another event. The event happens when the workers are all walking ahead of a line of peacekeepers. One of the district workers whistles Rue?s three tone whistle, and everything goes bananas. The workers sprint and climb different trees to the top. Peacekeepers shoot some of them and wait while all of the survivors are hiding. Then all of a sudden the keepers are blown up. This event was not in the book, but was one of the best events in the movie. I would leave that event in the movie.  The ending spot was when Peeta was hijacked and he was locked in the bed. Katniss was getting out of her hospital bed because Peeta choked her out, and Coin was giving a speech. This was a really good end point, but I could have done better. I would have just left it where Peeta gets pummeled in the head with a pan or a pot.


If I did not read the book or watched the movie, I would have recommended myself to watch the movie. The movie, is not a good save of money but is a good idea for people like me, that always wants to see the action of a book. The book is also kinda long to read, so anyone who doesn?t like reading (which is kind of shame) I recommend the movie. The book is great, but it is not the better than actually watching the action on a movie.