Music: A Look at Who We Are | Teen Ink

Music: A Look at Who We Are

By Sophie Drew BRONZE, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Sophie Drew BRONZE, Oshkosh, Wisconsin

Who does not love singing along to the radio? Music brings happiness to life and that has even been proven! However, you might not think music is that important; I'm going to show you why I think music is as essential as oxygen.

When discussing musical preferences my family and I couldn't be any more different. We all have the mothers who listen "classics" which basically means old. Or the brother who refuses to listen to anything but 90's rock bands and heavy metal. Not to forget about the sister who listens to every song sung by a cute teenage boy. Being in a family with diverse music choices makes for an awkward time picking a radio station. But in my mind music of any type is a look into who you are; music is an outlet.

I'm not sure when or how music was introduced into my life, but I sure am glad music occupies a large part of me. Considering NSYNC's song "Bye Bye Bye" written in 2000 was one of the first songs my mom recalls me singing it proves just how long music has been in my life. From radio hits to disney movie songs, my musical backround developed before most of my vocabulary. I have willingly taken choir since sixth grade and plan to continue on until I graduate.

Music is a voice that requires no talking, or company when your all alone. Music spreads holiday cheer and expresses feelings. When im feeling anxious or having a rough day I know my favorite song will do the job of making things better. A song holds memories as well as meaning. Overall music is a united force that will bring us together.

Every communication has its barriers. For instance, I despise country, rap, and heavy metal music. While others may say my interest pop music is repulsive. Obviously music is diverse so, so is our preference of music. The real complication occurs when people shame your personal opinion. Having someone say you have no taste in music is hurtful and is like a direct insult to you. With so many options music can cause quite the turmoil.
     I know a girl who has no interest in music. She doesn't listen to the radio, have a favorite band, or even care about the most popular songs at the time. While acceptable, I could not imagine a life without singing in the shower or jamming out to my favorite song in the car. To be truthful, we couldn't be more different; to me music is as essential as food or water.

Not only is music enjoyable it is beneficial. The article "20 Surprising, Science-Backed Health Benefits of Music" of USA Today written by Scott Christ documented music can: ease pain, improve sleep quality, enhance blood vessel function, reduce stress, relieve depression symptoms, elevate mood, ease recovery in stroke patients, and reduce anxiety to the equivalent of a massage, along with many more proven facts. So basically, music works wonders on top of the joy it gives you.