THH: What Roaring Expectations Do to Sequels | Teen Ink

THH: What Roaring Expectations Do to Sequels

October 10, 2014
By AlaNova ELITE, Naperville, Illinois
AlaNova ELITE, Naperville, Illinois
257 articles 0 photos 326 comments

Favorite Quote:
Dalai Lama said, "There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called YESTERDAY and the other is called TOMORROW, so today is the right day to love, believe, do, and mostly live..."


2015 is unremarkably the Year of the Sequel. Not because the world decided 2014 needed to be recognized with a little brother, but because every film planned. Is. A. Sequel.

Star Wars has been picked back up again by the Disney franchise for a whole new trilogy. The bellas return in “Pitch Perfect 2,” with Hailee Steinfeld, (and Demi Lovato and Pentatonix with cameos) promised in the mix as well. “Mad Max: Fury Road” continues the never-ending apocalyptic world, and “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Pt. 2” agrees. Oh, wait, Pixar’s on the list as well, with the spin-off film “Minions” and “Kung Fu Panda 3” scheduled. And do not even get me started on the exquisite Marvel monopoly set for next year, including a remake of “Fantastic Four,” “Ant-Man,” and—do I dare speak its name—“The Avengers: Age of Ultron.”

Whew. That was something.

Let’s start with our big boy Marvel, since, I’ll admit, that’s all I’m ever here to talk about. Since “Iron Man,” it’s been on a non-stop roll of action that keeps pushing forward. And with paramount box office booms, it’s already sunken its superpowers into Phase Two, with more action, more happy chaos, and more…well, everything. [Check out The Holy Hitchhike’s Review for an evaluation of “Guardians of the Galaxy.”]

But that’s almost beside the point—really, Marvel Comics had been facing a slight mediation until “The Avengers” brought it front and center. And then, when the all-star cast entered Comic-Con, the reception was welcome, but puny to what tremendous cheering “The Avengers: Age of Ultron” at 2014 Comic-Con yielded. Fans from all over the world had gathered to hear a few plot tidbits to cling onto until 2015 harvested a trailer. (Besides, who doesn’t want to see that cast rock the stage? There was just too much awesome at Comic-Con this year.)

And with great attention, comes great criticism—mouths are posing to yammer off for the positive and negating. And what will this do for the movie’s premier? Of course, it’ll inevitably send box office soaring, with millions piling in for tickets (not to mention full houses in every first round cinema for the next few months). But this film now also has a predecessor to be compared to, for laughs, action, and character development. In fact, it’s already started—countless have pined over the fact Loki will not return as head villain, and Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch have been examined and prodded all over the web.


And the effects are immense; it’s sad to think of how many films have been ruined because their forerunner was ‘better.’ A film can be pretty stinking good, in all its wholesome respects, but be destroyed when thrust to criticism. It’s because everybody’s eager for immediate evidence a franchise is either going sky-high, or about to ground its sorry butt. And with a film like The Avengers, it does make sense: we have high expectations for pretty high reasons. Yet also in that natural mindset, we often end up destroying potential stars that have their careers riding on this role. (Even if that may vary with the actors of The Avenger’s cast, since I highly doubt any critic can falter the skyrocketing careers of Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Jeremy Renner, Scarlett Johansson, and Mark Ruffalo. I mean. Come on.)

So, as 2015 rolls inevitably closer and closer and our drool elongates, all eyes are on the big screen. And whether you are observing this or that of 2015’s length of movie loot, what will your thoughts be on sequels and what our hiatus-dyed views do to them?

(Or will you just be as eternally grateful that The Avengers: Age of Ultron finally arrived in our lives, like me? In the near future? Moaning incoherently in the back row, still sticking around after the classical Marvel credits?

Ha. Knew It.

Love you guys.)


The author's comments:

What does "THH" stand for? Good question! It's THE HOLY HITCHHIKE... No, I’m not even religious. The name is Ala Nova, and you have entered the domain of my discussion, thought, and paraphernalia. Enjoy, and let loose your commentary and suggestions below. A new column every Friday!

 

Also, don't forget to comment on which movie you are  most excited to see next year. (I certainly know mine.)