Top 10 Thrash Metal Bands | Teen Ink

Top 10 Thrash Metal Bands

By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida

Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater

A genre that is sort of underground but very popular in the 80's, Thrash Metal. This is a subgenre of metal that is influenced from 70's punk but alot heavier than punk. There are many Thrash bands out there but to me, these are the top guys. Rules: Only bands that I've checked out, and NO Big 4 Thrash bands which include, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax. Honorable Mentions will be before number 1.

10 Cavalera Conspiracy: Origin: Brazil, our first band of two from Brazil, I wonder how often you here that. As far as I know this band only has two albums, Blunt and Inflikted, but this is a side project of Max an Igor Cavalera. Great band and deserves some place on here. Songs: Sanctuary, Inflikted.

9 Flotsam and Jetsam: Origin: US, Jason Newsted's original band and there first album Doomsday of the Deciever was released in 1986, the same year Cliff Burton died. R.I.P Cliff Burton, but the band is pretty cool. though after Jason's departer, I can't say it's the best thing in the world. Songs: Doomsday of the Deciever, Suffer The Masses.

8, Testament: Origin: US, a band that falls under Metallica's shadow and yet it is awesome. 80's thrash at its finest, or sort of. Though, so far my favorite album is their 1990 album Souls of Black. This also had a song that appeared in Rock Band 2, which is Souls Of Black. Songs: Souls Of Black, Practice What You Preach, Falling Fast.

7 Motorhead: Origin: UK, these guys coined the term Thrash Metal. Part of the new wave of british heavy metal Lemmy is a beast. Their latest album is Aftershock, and while I haven't heard it yet, I hear it's amazing. So wht do ya think? Songs: Ace of Spades, Overkill, Play the Game.

6 Meshuggah: Origin: Sweden, again something kind of unusual. This guys are unique to say the least. Their latest album is called Koloss and it is a great listen. In fact, not only are they Thrash Metal, but they can be just about eveything. That's what I call "expanding your horizons." Songs: I An Colossus, The Demon's Name Is Survallence.

5, Suicidal Angels: Origin: Greece, imediate Slayer influence ahead. Trust me, these guys are like the Greek Slayer! This is one of the youngest groups on the list and you can only imagin what these guys will do to be as popular as their American counter part. Their newest album was realesed in 2014 or for me, THIS YEAR! The album is called Divide and Conquer. There was an album I checked out called BloodBath being released in 2012. If you like Slayer, check them out.

4 Kreator: Origin: Germany, Part of the Big 3 Deutch Thrash Bands, along with Sodom and Destruction, this brought thrash to the mainstream in Germany. I love this band. Classic 80's thrash and phenomenal as well. Newest album, Phantom AntiChrist. Go check them out, and unlike other bands, they don't speak German. Songs: Pleasure To Kill, Phantom AntiChrist.

3 Lost Society: Origin: Finland, young band coming out of a Symphonic Metal Capital. These guys are punky, thrashy and truely in your face. Their first album was in 2013 called Fast, Loud, Death. That is a remarkable album. And they even released a new album this year too. It's called Terror Hungry, and I need to listen to this as well. Check them out. Songs: Diary of a Thrashman, E. A. G., N. W. L. .

2 Vio-lence: Origin: US, these guys don't seem to be around today but I still think they're notable. Same thing with the rest, gudhing and this and most resent this, you get it. Their earliest album, Eternal Nightmare, is a phenomenal album and should get a good listen. Their latest is their last album released in 2006 being Blood and Dirt, I need to catch up here. Songs: Eternal Nightmare, Serial Killer, Oppressing the Masses.

Honorable Mentions, Sodom, Violator, Nuclear Assalt, Exodus, Agony, Onslaught, Venom, Destruction, Traitor, Exile, The Big 4, English Dogs, Toby Knapp, Exumer, Accept.

1 Sepultura: Origin: Brazil, this band is like, no, IS, the Metallica of Brazil. They are the guys that introduced thrash metal into mainstream but ANY Brazilian band into mainsteam. This band has phenomenal production but have later falling into nu-metal sound. Whatever, they're still cool. If you haven't heard of this band PLEASE check them out. Album recomendations include, Beneath The Remains, and Roots and The Mediator Between the Head and Hands Must Be The Heart. Amazing everything here. Songs: Inner Self, Roots Bloody Roots, Beneath The Remains, The Vatican, Rattamahatta and Territory.

What can I say, I'm the guy you want if you want to look for "new" bands but, I will only do it if you guys keep cheaking out new bands. This is a part of the "Thrash Til Death" scene and to keep it alive support the bands listen to their music and buy any of their albums. This is some true art right here. Long Live Metal! See you guys with Top 10 symphonic metal bands.

This is for support of a well overlooked genre of Heavy Metal. Other than the Big 4 US Thrash bands, I don't here alot about anyone else sadly. I hope you find something fresh and new and amazing as well.