What Choir Can Do for You | Teen Ink

What Choir Can Do for You

February 16, 2014
By briannelee21 SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey
briannelee21 SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey
9 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."


Choir is considered an extracurricular activity. It is not considered a very important subject. But although singing in a group would probably not get you a scholarship into a top school, it does help build strong characteristics that you will need for the future (and those characteristics could probably get you into a good school, too). Characteristics such as perseverance, patience, and collaboration are formed. These characteristics could not only help your future, but they could also change the way you see and react to things around you.

One characteristic that is formed when singing in choir is perseverance. This is created because when singing in a choir, you are working with multiple people. When working like that, not everyone is on the same level. That could drive a person to want to help them, which is a form of leadership. Leadership is taking a risk and helping a group to accomplish something together. Eventually, choir will implant leadership in your personality and you will have ease and confidence in activities, like trying out for a sports team or the musical or making new friends and completing a project. Leadership is an important characteristic you must have, and choir definitely helps you to acquire it.

Another characteristic that you achieve is patience. When you are in a group, usually there are different levels of knowledge. If you are the one that has more knowledge than the others, you must help them to succeed. When you help them, you use extreme patience and an understanding of how much help people need. If you are one who knows less, you must know how to have patience because you are learning something that is new to you and you can’t just quit because then you would let everyone down. Choir forms patience in waiting for people and helping them.

One more thing choir helps you to do is to work together. Choir is basically a group of people joining together to become one voice. Doing that, becoming one voice, is called unity. When you are united, you are together on the same path towards the same goal. But you are not fighting to reach that goal first; you are working together to reach the goal together. When unity is achieved, there is a feeling of great achievement that you don’t want to lose. So you end up doing it over and over again, until unity and working together becomes a part of you. This will help in the future because when you are at work, you will often find yourself working with your co-workers. To successfully finish the job you have on hand with your co-workers, you must know how to collaborate. Choir teaches that to students through experience.

Overall, choir is an excellent activity. Not only does it relieve stress, but it also builds important characteristics such as perseverance, patience, and collaboration. After you have achieved those qualities, you will notice that your choir members become a family that you can lean on because you have faced the same challenges and worked together so much. Choir is an amazing experience that will prepare you for your amazing future to come.