The Curious Incident of the Dog and the Night-Time | Teen Ink

The Curious Incident of the Dog and the Night-Time

February 28, 2012
By PinkNinjaHater SILVER, China, Chengdu, Other
PinkNinjaHater SILVER, China, Chengdu, Other
8 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everybody has photographic memory, just not everybody had film.


The Curious Incident of the Dog and the Night-Time by Mark Haddon is a novel that is taught in school to students as young as 12 years old. However, some students think that this book isn’t suitable to young readers? Agree for or against to this, if this book should be taught for young readers.

In the May of 2003 Mark Haddon published the book The Curious Incident of the Dog and the Night-Time. This book was a considered a mind changing read and really shows how we, as humans, see ourselves in everyday life, both physically and mentally. However this book has now become banned from some schools, mainly because of foul language. I believe that this book should not be banned simply because foul language is a part of everyday life and people use these types of words all the time. This type of language also both makes the book more realistic and adds more impact to the reader, and in this book also shows the type of person that the character actually is. However I believe that the people who rate these books, depending on the country, are most of the time to high.

Many adults and teachers say that foul language should not been said or even used during school, or even out of school, but in reality, people always use these words and to some they really hold no more meaning. I’m not saying that this should be taught to students any younger that eleven or twelve because it may not be considered appropriate for their maturity, but just reading this type of book at schools to kids that are ages eleven and up would most of the time be mature enough to read this type of books. Another thing is that just because you are reading these types of books in school doesn’t mean that the teacher is actually trying to teach foul language, but just trying to educate you on a book. Some people say that this book takes it too far and over exaggerates swearing just to make the book apparently more “attractive” to young readers.

Another reason why I believe that this book shouldn’t be banned from schools is because, first of all it’s a very good book teaching a very good story about a boy with a simple disability that changes the way that people with and around him must live and deal with him. However banning this book would simply be depriving a community of a book that they could read and enjoy, and it isn’t like they are forced to read this book, but can read this book on their own will, and if teachers would want to read these type of books to the class then that would be their choice, and nobody else’s.

This book along with many others is one that is now in threat of being banned in even more areas of the world today. So I believe that this book should not be banned in the world, or any other book, because this book isn’t that foul in language, and in reality, there really is no reason that a book should be banned because it isn’t like you are forced to read the books, and it is your will that can keep or stop you from reading any book that you want.

The author's comments:
Simply Over Rated