Totoro is just one in a whole race of similar creatures | Teen Ink

Totoro is just one in a whole race of similar creatures

By Studio_Riet GOLD, Tonasket, Washington
Studio_Riet GOLD, Tonasket, Washington

" Times you see, is a little arrangement that man has made for himself to try to measure the immeasurable mysteries of life." -Calypso to Ulysses (Bernard Evslin.)
"You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body" - CS Lewis

Ever notice that Mei Kusakabe asks “Anata wa dare” (who are you) instead of “Anata wa nani” (what are you) ? When this is taken account of, one would assume that the one being asked would answer with their name opposed to their race.

It is because of this, that I only name the largest of the three creatures in the film “Totoro”, and give the others made up names. When others make art based on Totoro, I do not name the creature depicted “Totoro”, but rather a “Totoro-like creature”.

As for what to call the entire amount of the creatures/spirits (Since they aren’t Totoros), I’ll have to think about that.

There is just one Totoro. All the others are related, but have different names because they are different "people". Your name isn't "Human", is it?

xXx_Fox_xXx BRONZE, Conbe, Iowa

"Where a rose is, a thistle can not grow" ~The Secret Garden
"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Ghandi
"Every road leads somewhere, its just a matter of where you want to go..." ~???

:) Totoro is actually the name Mei gives the forest spirit. Since he is a spirit I guess it is like a species....

Studio_Riet GOLD, Tonasket, Washington

I just think it's weird that some people say "Totoro like it's someone's name, and then call something that is a different color, or has a different patern "Totoro". Ah well, the least I can do is inform people. But you're right, Anne! I do a search for "Totoro", just to see if there is anything (and there are howmany thousands of teeninkers?), I get ONE result about how a marshmello peep looked  like a demented [yellow] Totoro!!

xXx_Fox_xXx BRONZE, Conbe, Iowa

lol like 90% of the population hasn't heard of totoro. ^^ I like the idea of explaining what he is to the population. lol