The Day The Music Died | Teen Ink

The Day The Music Died

August 12, 2010
By danceto.rocknroll BRONZE, Thornhill, Other
danceto.rocknroll BRONZE, Thornhill, Other
2 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"be yourself, because the people that mind don't matter, and the people that matter don't mind."
- dr. seuss


1954 - Elvis Presley
1962 - The Rolling Stones
1971 - Queen
1988 - The Smashing Pumpkins
1993 - The Backstreet Boys
2002 - Selena Gomez
2004 - Hedley
2006 - Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus
2007 - Justin Beiber

Have you ever heard Miley Cyrus perform in concert? No? Well then you seem to have luck on your side. Miley Cyrus cannot sing, listening to her live, is agonizing and a sure form of punishment. Selena Gomez, sure she may not have the most horrifying voice ever, but seriously - who names a band after themselves (Selena Gomez & The Scene). Obviously she doesn't come up with her own lyrics if she can't come up with a half decent name for her band.

I can bet money on the fact that 95% of the teen pop sensations that perform today, do not write their own music and if they do, i have yet to hear a song that has an actual deep meaning, something that makes you think, dream, fantasize or cry. Music is supposed to be powerful, inspiring, something that gives you the hope that you can make a difference, if not in someone else' life, but your own. When Justin Beiber comes on the radio, the only thing that I want to do, is change to a different station.

So few people who are continuously breaking into the music industry actually have raw talent. Mick Jagger, Freddie Mercury, Elvis Presley - they are pure raw music gods. On stage, in studio, their sound is the same, or was the same. Have you ever listened to a song live performed by the Rolling Stones, their studio version isn't any different.

I have yet to hear a 'pop star' who has that kind of talent, if you have to alter your voice so people don't throw things at you when you sing, well lets be honest maybe you should pursue some other career.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 19 comments.


catty98e GOLD said...
on Apr. 24 2015 at 3:54 pm
catty98e GOLD, Spring HIll, Kansas
12 articles 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'm a freak, I've been a freak my whole life. I just have to live with it, you know. I'm just one of those people. I'm not going to change the way I think or the way I feel to conform to anything."
-John Winston Lennon (1940-1980)

I agree with you one hundred percent!!! Way to put your opinion out there and represent the real music!!! Love it!!!

on Feb. 14 2012 at 12:35 am
JRsingersongwriter GOLD, HB, California
11 articles 0 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's one thing to put yourself in someone's shoes. It's another to walk around in them." -Me!

I know that I will get replies to this comment disagreeing with me, but I would like to voice my opinion. While I do agree that today's pop music isn't the best, I don't see how some music from the 60s and 70s are any better. Often I will hear someone say, "Justin Bieber sucks!" and then name some metal or rock band from an older decade claiming it is better. Now I'm not a fan of Justin Bieber, but I don't see how loud electric guitar riffs, and screaming, angry lyrics are any better. Same goes for boring 60's acoustic songs. Now I myself am a Beatles fan, but some lyrics even from them get extremely repetitive and boring. Music has always been good and bad. There are still great musicians out there; they are just not as well-known.

on Mar. 21 2011 at 9:43 pm
danceto.rocknroll BRONZE, Thornhill, Other
2 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"be yourself, because the people that mind don't matter, and the people that matter don't mind."
- dr. seuss

I'm not even going to try and fight you on this, you just tried to prove a point by claiming that Justin Beiber's songs are filled with emotion - clearly you can't be saved.

on Mar. 21 2011 at 9:27 pm
danceto.rocknroll BRONZE, Thornhill, Other
2 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"be yourself, because the people that mind don't matter, and the people that matter don't mind."
- dr. seuss

Yes, I meant the classics. There are a lot of good bands producing music now also, but very few as talented as old classics.

& Thank you!


on Mar. 21 2011 at 9:22 pm
danceto.rocknroll BRONZE, Thornhill, Other
2 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"be yourself, because the people that mind don't matter, and the people that matter don't mind."
- dr. seuss

Thank you! I appreciate it.

Rory7 SILVER said...
on Mar. 21 2011 at 9:06 pm
Rory7 SILVER, Kanata, Other
6 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Live Freaky! Die Freaky!”-billie joe armstrong

I'd hate to say this, but OH MY GOD I totally, and completely agree with you. I cannot understand the "pop" phenomenon. And I was going to write an article about this topic too, but I dont think I could put things as clearly as you do, or portray my thoughts as easily as you do, this is an amazing opinion piece!

on Mar. 21 2011 at 8:53 am
I like how you remember the dates when these bands got together or singers started performing. I also like how you included rock legends like Elvis or Freddy Mercury and how you say thye're better than Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber or anyone modern. That's just the way it is. Until I read your article, I had no idea the new stars didn't write their own music or wrote very little of it. By the day the music died do you mean the classics like Elvis, Queen or the Stones, because that's my impression. But I like what you're saying

on Jan. 8 2011 at 7:30 pm
swim4ever SILVER, Carol Stream, Illinois
9 articles 0 photos 60 comments

Favorite Quote:
"you can throw in the towel or you can use it to wipe the sweat off your face"
"no one ever drown in their own sweat"

OK wow um actually most pop stars do write there own music some sound AMAZING live some don't and most of "pop" music does have some real deep meaning and i can name a BILLION  great artistis who named a band after themselves (tommy james and the shondelles, Paul McCartney and wings, Derek and the dominoes) And music that does not have ANY EMOTION!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!! you must have no soul to listen to music and not feel anything. Ever heard love the way you lie-eminem nope no emotion there, never say never-justin bieber no not there either, replay-iyaz, that should be me-Justin bieber, grenade-bruno mars, Tell me something i don't know-Selena Gomez, Passion-Kreeshna Turner i can go on and on and on and on! So next time don't generalize a whole group of artists with out knowing there stories or taking the time to listen to all of them!!

alex said...
on Oct. 18 2010 at 10:26 am
This is completely true. In my mind, i believe that without actual instruments, it is not real music and it is not worth my time! This goes to all the crappy hip hop on the radio and such. Its not that hard to come up with words with no meaning and having a computer do ALL the work.

on Sep. 4 2010 at 8:57 pm
RavenBird SILVER, Battle Ground, Washington
7 articles 3 photos 35 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same" ~The Fray "All at once"
"I am who I am and who i wanna be" ~Avril Lavigne

I know exactly what you mean: I have this idea that i need some people to help me with. When my article comes out i'll post the link for it. I want to run a site where teens can submit columns about some lesser known but actually talented bands and maybe list some songs from them that are particularly good examples. There will be other things, too, i just need ideas and some support in this. If you wanna help give me some ideas, post something on one of my pieces. When "Time to take a stand." gets published, i hope i'll get some more people in on it.

kalaj17 said...
on Aug. 26 2010 at 9:54 am
i totally agree with this . music is no longer has meaning its just empty words like miley cyrus's party in tye usa shes never lisoned to jay-z she said it on the radeo !!!!!!!!!

on Aug. 20 2010 at 9:25 am
danceto.rocknroll BRONZE, Thornhill, Other
2 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"be yourself, because the people that mind don't matter, and the people that matter don't mind."
- dr. seuss

For sure, music is a complex thing. My article is obviously based on my taste in music. & there are many people out there today who are very talented, but i don't enjoy their music. & I have my guilty pleasures, who doesn't enjoy some good pop music that you can sing to every now & again. It's just the fact that it seems lately you don't have to be all that extraordinary to have a record label.

writ3r BRONZE said...
on Aug. 19 2010 at 9:34 pm
writ3r BRONZE, Rockville, Maryland
3 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"unfortunate" or "sweet stakes"

i give u a standing o. i was just saying this. have you ever heard soilderboy some of the dumbest songs ever. its like as long as the person performing is hott (not saying those guys are yuk) and the song catchy its in!

on Aug. 18 2010 at 11:49 am
Whiitake BRONZE, Cape Coral, Florida
1 article 30 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
All is fair in love and war but this is a revolution - Fred Astaire

I see your point. Good music is definitely harder to come by, but it's there!

on Aug. 18 2010 at 10:40 am
danceto.rocknroll BRONZE, Thornhill, Other
2 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"be yourself, because the people that mind don't matter, and the people that matter don't mind."
- dr. seuss

* used to be*

on Aug. 18 2010 at 10:39 am
danceto.rocknroll BRONZE, Thornhill, Other
2 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"be yourself, because the people that mind don't matter, and the people that matter don't mind."
- dr. seuss

I am definitely not denying the fact that there are talented bands/artists out there today, I am simply stating that music isn't what it used to me. It's commercialized & it's rare that you find a really amazing band/artist with real talent these days. & yes obviously it is all a matter of taste, hence I was sharing my taste in music when i wrote this 'article.' To clarify I do enjoy some of the bands out there today, like you said the Black Keys, but there isn't enough music such as that being produced.

on Aug. 18 2010 at 12:41 am
ThunderHorse92 SILVER, Flushing, New York
7 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise."

I absolutley agree. It seems that the sensations of the popular music world today are just carbon copies of the ones that entered before them. Real music is hard to come by these days. Josh Groban, Enya and Hayley Westenra are the few soulful artists today. I just wish so many teens like ourselves payed more attention to the "out" as to the "in".

on Aug. 16 2010 at 11:28 pm
Whiitake BRONZE, Cape Coral, Florida
1 article 30 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
All is fair in love and war but this is a revolution - Fred Astaire

I completely disagree. It's all about perspective. I listen to a lot of different types of music, Queen and Taylor Swift included. Just because the lyrics aren't deep don't mean that the music has nothing to offer. Music now a days seems more commercial and "produced" as opposed to the works of earlier musicians but that's just what's on the radio and in mainstream. The Black Keys and John Mayer are recent artist that I think put out some really meaningful and amazing music.

on Aug. 15 2010 at 6:35 pm
Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia
40 articles 2 photos 1632 comments

Favorite Quote:
"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

I agree to some extent. The popular music of today seems to lack, well, musical qualities. And talent. But this may just be because I like other music, so I will not pass judgment. Music is an extraordinarily complex thing.