Why Music Should be Censored | Teen Ink

Why Music Should be Censored

By 4801478736 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
4801478736 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida

Have you ever pondered the thought of why our society is cursing so much? Did you predict what the source of this problem is? There is a great chance that the origin of our society cursing is uncensored music .Music should be censored because the profanity in it models children to use fowl language and goes against people’s moral values and religion.

Initially uncensored music that many listen to is getting to the younger generation .We all know that children are our future .What happens a majority of the time when a juvenile hears a new word ,they use the new word right? Eventually most children will be using profanity .The real question is, how will our society be in ten years from now.
Additionally music should be censored because hearing cursing in the public is disturbing .To my understanding music helps calm the nerves .When you are relaxing do you really want to hear explicit language. The outcome will be public life being less pleasant .Some people enjoy censored music just because it makes their everyday life a little more placid.
Ultimately, the largest con of having uncensored music is that it goes against beliefs .Music that is not censored may affect the way people interpret their beliefs ,and potentially will become a bad habit throughout that religion. Some people probably enjoy songs that swear, but maybe it's because they don't know realize how immoral using fowl language is. Imprecate music changes the way these people live life.

If someone were to ask me my opinion whether music should be censored or not ,I will respond by saying music that is not filtered is rapidly changing beliefs ,corrupting children ,and disturbing the peace .I don't see the purpose of having profanity in music anyway.

i_am_so_very_large_and_towering SILVER, Mililani, Hawaii

"Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops?"

i don't believe in censoring music . . . i mean, it's MUSIC for pete's sake! interesting view though. oh and you should check the spelling and grammar, really distracting.

destiney574 said...
on Apr. 18 2012 at 11:22 am
Well I have to say that your article is not in any bit convincing me that music should be censored, I what is so wrong with these "curse words" why are they bad, because someone said they were. So if you tell me if I say that the word "Cow" is bad then we cant say it or hear it? I think that "curse words" are just words and are not harmful. And on the other hand, how can you blame words for actions, just because I talk "bad" does not mean I am "bad" I curse all the time and I am an honor roll student at my high school, and I am doing extremely well in everything that I do.

buster117 said...
Wow, Well to put it simply I don't believe in censoring ANTTHING! wether it be tv,video games,music,movies dosn't matter. And as far as cursing goes, cursing simply dosn't offend me in the least bit. Trust me i'm 18 (yea i know "18 don't lnow anything') But from my experence cursing is taught about the exact same time a child enters into Kindergarten and continues throughout highschool into adult life. And as a side note if we start censoring all forms of entertainment then just think what else can be censored to "protect us".

KatsK DIAMOND said...
KatsK DIAMOND, Saint Paul, Minnesota

Being inexhaustible, life and nature are a constant stimulus for a creative mind.
~Hans Hofmann
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
~Ray Bradbury

Yep. It was an all right article, but the spelling really detracted from the piece. 'Fowl' is a chicken, and your spacing was disorganized and confusing.

i also think you should learn how to speak/write/spell/type. :)

Bandit said...
I like that idea. Hahah... just kidding. I think we should be comfortable with saying, or in this case singing, whatever we want. If someone has a poblem with it, they can ignore you or go blog whatever christians or whatever these days.

ILYSME said...
ILYSME, Seattle, Washington

I don't lie because lying is a cowardly move. It takes courage to tell the truth

I completely agree... Anyways, If you don't think kids should be listening to uncensored music then talk to the parents who are letting them listen to uncensored music in the first place. With a lot of music they do make a "Censored" album as well so just buy that.

Jennypig GOLD said...
Jennypig GOLD, Winslow, Maine

Get living or get dying -Stepen King
We are a little weird and life is a little weird, so when we find someone who's weirdness is compatible with our own, we fall in a mutual weirdness and call it love. -Dr. Seuss

Also, you do realize that teenagers love to rebel, right? They will just start finding ways to get more music that's uncensored. Worse music than now. So maybe censoring the music is just as bad as not doing it? Also, I'm just going to assume you are one for censoring books too? Ha. Let's censore all our classics! We can deprive america of what that time period was like and what the author wrote. Lets get rid of Mark Twain's books and Charles Dickenson! Fun Fun! not. Doing that to books is exactly like music

Jennypig GOLD said...
Jennypig GOLD, Winslow, Maine

Get living or get dying -Stepen King

thats really true. Just sayin

Jennypig GOLD said...
Jennypig GOLD, Winslow, Maine

Get living or get dying -Stepen King

I think that music is your own personal choice. You know freedom of speech, right? Well, this is like freedom of speech... but to music. Some of my favorite songs have swears, but you don't like the song for swears. You like the message. If you or your kids don't want to hear swears then censor your own music. Let parents parent their own kids. Parents are perfectly capable of deciding for their kid what's best or not. Just take a breath and think about it. Besides, even though you don't like hearing it... it's none of your buisness what people listen to. We aren't going to change music for you. As my mother used to say, "The world doesn't revolve around you."

Oozeworld said...
Oozeworld, Reno, Nevada

"Whatever they offer you, don't feed the plants!"

This article is meant to be sarcastic, right?  My faith in humanity is hanging in the balance because I don't know if this article is sarcastic or not.

teen said...
Personally I think people are swearing much more because people are making such a big deal about it. If a parents accidentally swears infront of their child and make a big deal about it ofcourse their child will repeat it to get a reaction from the parents. Swear words are just random meaningless words used to release anger and have been taken wayyy to far by society.

choclate said...
h*** nawl no censore

de mac said...
Hey I think that music sould not be cencored. I swearing is in a song you can choose to listen to it or not. lol rap the best

PoeticBliss228 BRONZE, Kettering, Ohio

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." -Kid Cudi

First off who are we to tell people what is okay to say and what isn't okay to say. "Curse" words are something that others deemed wrong for their own reasons. I don't limit myself for others' reasons. And if you honestly think fowl language is the BIG problem in our society than you're confused and I would strongly recommend opening your eyes a little wider.

rhockema SILVER, Homer, Alaska

"Good writers borrow. Great authors steal."

While I do agree that music with profanity isnt the best environment to be around,I dont necessarily agree that ALL music should be censored. 
Musicians dont get paid to write music with limitations. Yes, the new hip-hop and rap music where the artist blantently swears throught the entire song is ridiculous. But there is music where the artists do swear,and it doesn't distract from the meaning of the song. Take Guns N' Roses for example(back when they were good,ofcourse). 70% of their first album,Appetite for Destruction, must have had swearing in it. Only a few songs had no explict language. But it didnt distract from the song and make it unappealing to listen too. Newer bands like Avenged Sevenfold, yes they swear,but like Guns N' Roses, it doesnt deprive their musical meaning.
Adults essentially have the right to use whatever language they please, appealabe or not. I too wish they would be more sensible about it and take into mind that kids listen to music too,but it isnt gonna happen. While I agree many current artists shouldn't be as explict,if we censored everything you didnt want us kids to hear, half the albums we buy would have Parental Advisory sticker on the covers.

benk said...
here is an idea lets burry are heads in the sand and pretend curse words dont exist. 

ZeeBYoung BRONZE, Coatesville, Pennsylvania

Don't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. :)

Well heres an idea, maybe parents should take it upon themselves and personal responsibility to make sure their kids dont listen to it. but what you dont realize is when you censor things "for children" you censor it for everybody. If you dont want your child listening to it, fine. But dont ruin it for everybody else.

lilyklove said...
I 100% agree. Our society is so screwed up, so why encourage artists to use swear words in their music if a 12 year old is going to listen? Freedom of speech is a lame excuse. You can express yourself using words with the same meaning that are appropriate. I went crazy reading all these comments because most of these users have no idea what they are talking about. People need to think once in a while.

BlackGlitter BRONZE, Sterling, Virginia
I agree in the sense that it should be censored on the radio, or perhaps that the majority of what is on the radio should not even need to be censored, but I think it should be up to the artist to decide whether or not there is swearing in a song. After all, they're the ones busy creating things for the enjoyment of others, so shouldn't they get to say what goes into their creations?