Vocab Quiz | Teen Ink

Vocab Quiz

November 24, 2009
By Haley Thiel SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Haley Thiel SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Murder. Rape. Stealing. Having the capability to watch these crimes and more is what TV provides to the people today. Children are watching this as if it were no problem. They are too young to be witnessing these traumatic, dramatized events. TV is a type of addiction that is inundating our studies. Four thousand studies, right now, are going on about the effect TV has on children.

Hearing that TV is an addiction may be poignant news. Watching is what they do best. There are six dependency symptoms of this addiction. People are using TV as a sedative. It is indiscriminate viewing. The third is feeling comprehensive loss of control while viewing. Fourth, is feeling angry with oneself for watching too much. The fifth is inability to stop watching. (The people feel as if they are coerced to keep watching.) And the sixth is feeling miserable when kept from viewing. They feel fruitless.
These people are zealously inclined to watching TV. It’s what they know how to do. How they’ve grown up. This fact is corroborated by the statistic that ninety-nine percent of families have a television set in their house. Ninety-nine percent! This means that a measly one percent does not. Children are watching crimes and violence and see no harm in it. They feel garbled. Not knowing right from wrong at such a young age is not what is needed. The next generation needs to know the distinct difference between the two.
TV is forcing the people to become phlegmatic. Three and a half minutes per week is the amount of time average parents are spending in deep conversation with their children. It’s like their zombies and they can’t even hold a conversation with their own children!
Not too many will remain sanguine. Weight problems have become an issue too. Obesity is rising in not only children but one-third of the adults. Contradictory to this, 75% of women believe they are too fat due to the models, and actresses they watch day after day on television. The models’ perfect size zero is what the average woman wants, resulting in an increase in bulimia or anorexia.