Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark | Teen Ink

Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark

By GabeHernandez07 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
GabeHernandez07 BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you'll never enjoy the sunshine." - Morris West

Do you enjoy horror movies that give you a feeling of uncertainty? If you do then I wouldn’t suggest using time to watch this movie. There is some unpredictability in this movie but not enough for a horror movie, you can almost guess what’s gonna happen next in most scenes. Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark is a movie about a group of 4 friends who get curious and decide to explore a “haunted house”. The names of the 4 friends in this movie are Stella, Ramon, Chuck, and Auggie. This is a movie directed by André Øvredal and based on the book by Alvin Schwartz. This 2019 film was also adapted from a story by Guillermo del Toro, a really popular and award winning filmmaker. Even with this amazing team of filmmakers and directors, I still think this movie is an okay one at best. 

This movie starts off as a group of 3 friends, Stella, Chuck, Auggie, who plan on pulling off a prank on halloween night. They prank their bully, Tommy, and then run away from him. The group of friends run into a drive-in movie theater in an attempt to get away from Tommy and his friends. They get into a random person's car when they try to hide from Tommy. The car they get in belongs to Ramon Morales, he becomes the 4th “friend” in the group. After an altercation, the group decides to go to the house of Sarah Bellows, an urban legend in the small fictional town of Mill Valley, Pennsylvania. While there they find an old book of stories belonging to Sarah Bellows and this is where the movie really starts. The book begins writing scary stories by itself and these stories come true. A couple of deaths come with this book that writes stories by itself.

One of the things that the directors did well in this movie was choosing the soundtrack. There was a decent amount of scary music in the background which helped build the suspense of some scenes. A lot of scenes however were kind of obvious in a way. There is a scene with Stella and Ramon in a police station with only 1 officer in there and I already knew what was going to happen the moment they got to the police station. I also knew what was going to happen before it happened when one of the friends, Auggie, was by himself at his house. 

In conclusion, this movie is nothing too special but it’s also not the worst movie I’ve seen. If I had to give this movie a rating on a scale of 10, I’d give it a 7.7. I think the target audience for this movie is young teenagers or middle schoolers.