Classic or Cover? | Teen Ink

Classic or Cover?

October 26, 2023
By Sarahsherw_ BRONZE, Niagara Falls, Ontario
Sarahsherw_ BRONZE, Niagara Falls, Ontario
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Covers are definitely a controversial topic – especially if it is a song as well-loved as “With a Little Help From My Friends”.  While I tend to prefer originals to covers, I will not die on that hill, as there are absolutely exceptions. For example, Jeff Buckley’s cover of “Hallelujah” is objectively better than Leonard Cohen’s version. However, when compared to The Beatles’ classic song, Joe Cocker’s cover cannot compare. As a certified The Beatles superfan, I am totally credible to discuss this. From “Yellow Submarine” to “Let It Be”, I know the ins and outs of the band.


My first reason is rather general – the overall vibe. I find that Cocker’s heavy, raw style does not suit the lyrics. The Beatles’ retro, cheery tone better suits a song about lighthearted friendship. When singing lines such as “I can get high with a little help from my friends”, I would expect a tone that makes the listener feel the emotions that are contained within the lyrics. Soulful, deep voices provide a more mellow atmosphere, which certainly does not make a listener feel “high”. I find Cocker’s seriousness incredibly emotional when featured on other songs, but his unique style feels silly and out of place in this instance. I prefer The Beatles’ clean vocals and expertly utilized instruments. That is why the vibe of The Beatles is just superior in this context.


I enjoy the iconic The Beatles guitar instrumentals. There is always an authentic-feeling acoustic guitar that emphasizes the overall feel of the music. It makes me feel like I have been transported to a dimly-lit retro speakeasy. John Lennon and George Harrison, the guitarists of The Beatles, are undeniably masters of their craft. I will never deny Cocker’s great talent, but sometimes all of that loud guitar just sounds more like busy noise than actual chords. To conclude, The Beatles’ guitar is iconic and makes the song feel truly complete. 

When a vocalist holds one note for an extended period of time, it is needless to say that it impresses listeners. Both of these songs contain a held note. To preface, both of these notes are expertly done (I can barely hold my breath that long!). However, I significantly prefer The Beatles’ note. Cocker’s was very soulful with a raw essence. You could feel that he was putting his all into it. If that note was placed into a rhythm and blues song, I would have nothing but praise for the artist – but this just is not the place. “With a Little Help From My Friends” calls for a clean, professional note. Overall, while Cocker is amazing, The Beatles knocked it out of the park.


In conclusion, The Beatles suit the lyrics better. Cocker’s style is impressive, but out of place. This song calls for a cheery, lighthearted, and amusing ambience. The acoustic guitar portrays true friendship (warm and authentic, just like the instrumentals). The clean note held for several seconds towards the end really sends the message home: The Beatles are and will remain undefeated.


The author's comments:

Hey there, Teen Ink! I'm a 15 year old highschool student from Ontario-- who also happens to be a total music freak. This piece was actually an assignment for my tenth grade English class. We were shown the two songs and the opinions were pretty split. So, I took it into my hands to prove that my opinion was totally right.