Soul Surfer | Teen Ink

Soul Surfer

By conradc BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
conradc BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

We all know that everyone loves a good come back story. The movie Soul Surfer, in particular, is by far the best one I have ever seen. Soul Surfer is a wholesome, inspirational movie that demonstrates overcoming obstacles, believing in yourself and surrounding yourself in your community. 

The main character, Bethany Hamilton, is a teenage surfer from Kauai, Hawaii. Bethany has been surfing for as long as she can remember. She spent her days on a surfboard before she could even walk. At the age of 8, Bethany competed in her first surfing competition where she ended up taking first place. She was a natural, and from there on Bethany continued to grow her love and passion for surfing. 

Bethany’s determination and faith were tested one morning when a fourteen foot tiger shark attacked her, biting off her left arm just below her shoulder. The doctors told her it was a miracle she was still alive, however, her whole life would change because due to the injury her arm had been amputated. 

While Bethany struggles during her recovery to get back in the water again, she decides to take a trip with her church group to Thailand. During this time they help clean up the island and bring supplies to the survivors of a tsunami that had just struck there. Since the tsunami, no one had touched the ocean because they were scared after what had happened. During one of these scenes, Bethany helps a little boy get over this fear and he follows her into the water. Others nearby, start to follow and eventually all of the survivors in the area join her. This experience gave her a new insight of how grateful she is to be alive and she starts using her experience to help others. This adds authenticity to the movie and helps viewers relate to Bethany’s experience, although unique. 

Soul Surfer teaches its viewers valuable life lessons throughout the entire movie. It shows how you can overcome any obstacle thrown at you with the power of determination and perseverance. This movie also does an outstanding job showing the importance of community and love in ones life. I think everyone should watch this movie, not only will it teach you several important life lessons, but it will also give you a different perspective on life itself. 

My name is Chase Conrad. I am a senior at Arrowhead High School. Soul Surfer has been my favorite movie for as long as I can remember. I wrote this piece to share my opinion and take on the movie with others.