Resident Evil and Inspiration | Teen Ink

Resident Evil and Inspiration

By JNADENICHEK BRONZE, West Hills, California
JNADENICHEK BRONZE, West Hills, California

Over this quarantine, many people have been looking for things to distract themselves and just to do in general and for me personally that was the Resident Evil video game series. I found out about it through a friend and since then I was hooked. The games may not have been perfect but they inspired me to try to create something of my own. I wanted to create something that other people could see the same way that I saw these Resident Evil games. I started to be inspired by everything like TV shows and movies until I realized that inspiration is everywhere if you look for it. For so long, even in this quarantine, I haven’t really followed through with anything I’ve thought about creating. It’s gotten to a point where I’ve gotten halfway through a project and just scrapped it. Since then I’ve learned that in your first endeavors, quality is not the most important thing, it’s about learning so you can do better. It’s the same mentality as practicing an instrument, you don’t only practice a scale if you expect to play it perfectly, you practice it so you can play it better the next time. Since then, I’ve tried to have a more “Do first, think second” mentality with these things because I know if I stress about it being perfect I won’t ever get anywhere and I feel that I have found much more success since. As a creator, you have to get used to the fact that what you do will probably be worse than what you can do in the future, my flute playing has improved immensely over the years I’ve played it, and while that can be discouraging in the now if you stop then you’ll never improve. Looking for tricks or loopholes to get better is just cheating yourself because a time commitment is really the only sure way to get better at anything. It can be discouraging to see other people doing amazing things but a better mindset to have is to have it motivate you to improve. Even if you don’t see improvement in your work, keep going because that just means that you’re becoming more critical of yourself. In short, take what inspiration you can get and always be striving to improve what you can do.