Beauty Together | Teen Ink

Beauty Together

January 24, 2019
By JoshuaKim5 SILVER, San Juan Capistrano, California
JoshuaKim5 SILVER, San Juan Capistrano, California
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" -Ernest Hemingway


Turtle Rock High School Principal, Mrs. Nobuko, had reserved a time slot at the May’s Chapel Performance Hall for the Choir and the Orchestra to perform their Spring Concert. Mr. Trumble, the orchestra teacher, wanted his students to play a strictly instrumental piece while Mrs. Ornelas the choir teacher, wanted her choir to sing a Capella. They both despised each other and this influenced the students in these groups, and a rivalry was born. Friendships were compromised between the two groups. Mrs. Nobuko tried desperately to convince the two teachers to perform together rather than exclude the other from being able to perform. Despite her efforts, the two teachers agreed to have a competition to see who would perform at the Spring Concert. Both teachers worked tirelessly to try and perfect their pieces with their students. After a month, the day of the competition arrived. Both teachers sent in their recordings to the principal for her to make the final decision. She was torn. They were both extremely beautiful performances, and she had a hard time deciding. The next day, she turned on her laptop to replay the pieces to try a to make the final decision, but she spilled her coffee onto it and it started playing both simultaneously. Mrs. Nobuko was shocked to realize that together, they sounded so much better. She was shocked how no one had realized before. She immediately rerouted the audio system and plugged it into the school-wide speakers. Everyone heard how beautifully the two groups’ music had come together. Both teachers held a meeting to combine the pieces and they finally agreed to play together. The broken friendships were mended and the rivalry was friendly and competitive rather than hateful. The next day the principal held a music group meeting. She made her speech, but at the end she said “Individually, we are amazing, but together we are spectacular”.