Futurama Satirical Humor Analysis | Teen Ink

Futurama Satirical Humor Analysis

By CFolonari BRONZE, Miami, Florida
CFolonari BRONZE, Miami, Florida

The popular television show Futurama is one that utilizes satirical humor, paired with future views of social life, in order to criticize and expose 21st Century political and cultural issues. In establishing this playful and bright atmosphere, the show successfully lampoons a variety of bleak and often controversial elements present in modern society. Said satirical criticism is perfectly exemplified in the second season episode "The Problem with Popplers". The episode features a highly addictive food item, known as "Popplers", becoming extremely widespread. Upon discovering that Popplers are actually the larval stage of the Omicronian race, humanity is split. While most choose to ignore the aforementioned fact, and continue to consume Popplers, others look to expose the moral injustice of eating Popplers.

Perhaps the most apparent criticism present throughout the episode is the constant barraging of mockery towards today's ignorant activism. One such example of this is seen in the portrayal of protesters who claim that consuming Popplers is an infringement of animal rights. The protesters were depicted as free-spirited and ignorant, shedding light on this ideal that more often than not, most people do not understand what they are fighting for. This is further reinforced when one of the protesters was being interviewed, and rather than listening to the opposing view, chose to completely ignore and rudely override all opinions that countered his. Said interview elucidates the protesters' refusal to partake in meaningful debate, further displaying the close-minded nature of modern protests. The protesters are also ridiculed in their core ideals, represented in the seen which features a lion who has not been fed meat. While in reality the lion was sick and on the verge of death, the protesters blindly advertised the lion as a successful example of vegetarianism. This once again strengthens the idea that the protest is not backed by a valid argument, rather opinion and emotion.

Another significant satirical criticism seen in the episode is the portrayal of ruthless, money hungry capitalist. The most apparent of these is Fishy Joe, a cruel and selfish man, whose only care is that of making the most profit. Joe's characterization is used to represent the most detrimental version of what many fear the free market may ensue. The capitalist greed is further exaggerated during the scene prior to the execution, in which big corporations, such as the one owned by Joe, utilize the horror present in human tragedy in order to advertise their business. In buying into said advertisements, the episode fortifies societies' negligence in prohibiting corporate greed from overtaking human emotion. This irony is most effective due to the underlying nature of the episode being one of valuing animal rights and emotions, yet at the same time, not valuing human rights and emotions.

The most prevalent element of satire utilized is that of exaggeration, appearing in almost all aspects of the episode. One such example of this is the portrayal of a female protester spinning a circle as her dress waves and twirls. This depicts the protesters as child-like, and not to be taken serious, while also containing a humorous undertone on the ridiculous nature of protesters. Another example of exaggerated satire are the physical traits of Fishy Joe, who has a coarse and rugged voice, as well as being short, rough demeanored. Said characterization is essential in giving Joe a stern embodiment of the ferocious capitalist. The parallel between business and protest is one that heavily underlines the many business flaws and tensions, present in modern society, which many choose to ignore. All of the aforementioned uses of exaggeration allow for the delivery to be one of humor, while the message is one of truth and often controversial horror.

This piece seeks to analyze specific elements of satire present within an episode of the “Futurama” series.