Talk to Me | Teen Ink

Talk to Me

June 26, 2016
By Thewritehands SILVER, Tyler, Texas
Thewritehands SILVER, Tyler, Texas
9 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission! -Unknown-


Anyone who writes understands one thing and one thing only:


Feedback


It helps, it is important, it is the reason anyone gets better and without it, Writers suffer. I, personally, know that writers suffer from something known as Writers Depression. (Ok, I made it up) but, it is real. It starts with simple taps on the key, while thoughts of adulation, and the highest of praises. Each sentence is better than the last, each word choice is perfect. Now, time to upload it. Let it sit, and wait.... And wait.... And waaAAAAait...........


Watch the uploads and newsfeed, check the comments again, reload, and wait.


Wait.


Wait.......


Email it someone, and nothing.


Now the anxiety. You reread that article again and again and again till you can recite every word by heart, you check for errors, or misconceived thoughts, or anything offensive, when you've eased these devilish thoughts of inadequacy, you sit back and again you wait. Days turn into weeks, weeks turn into the usual cliche of waiting forever. A writer would insert here how they are now old and still nothing. They keep trying. Type till arthritis has set into their weary, desperate bones. The carpal tunnel makes their wrists stiff and they burn, but the passion for writing, and for being heard is greater than the physical pain. The thoughts that they are not good enough eggs them to keep going, and keep writing till they are good enough, and how do they know they are good enough?

 

Feedback.


Google search engines list their history of "How to Write" and "What does (insert the desired word here)" They have visited a million sites to share their work and every single one of them tells them to keep trying. Keep going. A writer doesn't quit. If they happen to quit, they were not a writer, to begin with. A writer writes even when they don't feel like it, even though they don't get the craved feedback, and longed for criticism. Or the filled comment inbox. The writer writes and writes. They write their experiences, they hope, dreams, and even their disappointments, or even judgmental articles. They write regardless or anyone or anything.


Still, a little feedback on what the reader thought would be, let us face it, nice.  


The author's comments:

I am a Writer. I own two cats, and I live in East Texas. I am stubborn and very very determined.