Teen romance: Does true love really exist? | Teen Ink

Teen romance: Does true love really exist?

February 20, 2010
By chick-a-dee-wasaga-3 BRONZE, California, Florida
chick-a-dee-wasaga-3 BRONZE, California, Florida
4 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Do you believe in love? Are you and your girlfriend/boyfriend truly in love? With teenager’s hormones always on overdrive, many misinterpret the word love. The question of whether true love really exists cannot be answered, without clarifying what true love really is, but the honest truth is, teenagers don’t really know what true love is. Love requires a commitment, and I’m quite sure 13 and 14 year olds aren’t ready for commitment.

You love your animals, you love your parent’s, and you love your t-shirt. Love is like a hat, you feel warm in it, and you like how it looks, but when it gets old, you throw it out, or when a new hat comes out, you want it.


From Taylor Swift and Joe Jonas to Miley Cyrus and Nick Jonas, these celebrities are even young adults and they supposedly ‘loved’ each other, but then why is it that it didn’t last? Are we simply fooling ourselves over boredom and loneliness, or is love just a trend running through schools today?

And then you look in these magazines and on TV, do you know how many couples break up over work and cheating, the likely hood of getting married from teenage hood is low, and we just need to face reality.

In my opinion, we shouldn’t be caring about whose dating who, and who’s hot and whose not. We should be enjoying life, and being young. You only get to be a child once, and you shouldn’t just give love away like an article of clothing.

Yes, young love has happened, and can be true. But you have to ask yourself, is your love puppy love or real love. Young love is running in our society today, and it is not always bad. But people need to start realizing that there are more important things in life, then dating the popular guy in high school, enjoy your childhood, because before you know it, you are going to be a adult, and you can’t go back, it’s not the end of the world, if you pay attention to your school grades and not on boys or girls. There’s plenty of time to find true love, and teenagers are getting too caught up.

Maybe if teenagers today started focusing and loving themselves, they’d be a happier and more successful person. And eventually instead of them looking for love, true love will finally reach them.


The author's comments:
I just think , that teenagers are growing up so fast, and they think they know what true love is, but the fact is, they really don't know.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 41 comments.


Seth said...
on Apr. 21 2016 at 2:33 pm
LOVE HAS NO AGE! Relationships aren't ruining our childhood school is! WE SHOULD BE FREEE WITH THE PERSON WE LOVE OKAY and you are a love agest. BYE BYE NOW

Robert said...
on Jul. 22 2015 at 10:55 am
I don't really like the generalizing tone. Teenagers are such, wheras adults are different ... Well, I've got news: everyone is different. I suggest you read a good teenage love story (for instance "Young Love" by Dean Amory) to discover how some teenagers approach love and how serious they take it. Having said this, of course there is also flirting and dating for fun at that age. But is it "age" that is the determinant factor here or are it opportunity, circumstances, need of companionship, need of self confirmation, etc.... at that age, just like at any other age?

on Dec. 8 2014 at 8:16 am
Brian110 SILVER, Jonesport, Maine
8 articles 1 photo 79 comments

Favorite Quote:
if life gives you lemons..... squeeze them back in life's eyes!

I completly agree! And I know that this peice is true. I know from experience, I once loved someone, But only for the sake of loving someone and that love wasn't true. And now I have a love for a diferent person. And this love is absolutly true. And I know it. Because when I think about her I.... I'm happy. And when..... Oh. sorry..... I started rambling again. Well the love is true, and take my word for it.

on Nov. 12 2014 at 9:48 am
I agree very much dellcate(:

DarkestMinds said...
on Nov. 10 2014 at 9:09 am
DarkestMinds, Bardstown, Kentucky
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is a series of disappointments broken only by dark spells of depression

Good paper

rosan said...
on May. 30 2014 at 1:09 pm
who cares about his website. the fact is love 's got no ages. because you have already known your moms love.and care you can start learning love form child and when you reach about 10+ 14+ then you start doing the same giving your care for some one.but yah believe the true love exists the lovely age is teen 14+ . I just wanna prove this website worng!

smiler said...
on May. 1 2013 at 5:47 am
I just saw Miley and Nick so i commented!!! OMG!!! NILEY LONG LIVED!! 

on Jan. 20 2013 at 8:40 am
  I think saying a teenager cannot fall in love with some one is unfair. I mean, there are many different kinds of love. Teenagers are expected to love their family, and their pets without people suggesting that they are too young to do so. So for what reason could they not fall in love with someone?  

cnnq said...
on Jul. 26 2012 at 11:53 pm

 what i think about love is alote of things. But navery realy understand what it fells like. when i was reading the Bible it give me a bitter idea of what love is. Navere fall in love befor but one day when im done with school and whenever  it comes it will be great. from what i was reading from the  Bible is .love is  patient,love is kind.it is not proud.it is not rude,it is not self seeking it is not easly angered,it keeps no record of worngs.love does not delight in evil but rejoices with truth.it always protects,always trust always hopes always perseverses And love naver fails. that is what i want out of love one day

ps.


on Jun. 17 2012 at 11:46 pm
Pika_Princess, Escondido, California
0 articles 0 photos 118 comments
Very good...many teenagers spend time searching for their true love and I believe that they force themselves to fall in love, or believe that they have fallen in love only because they really want to believe that they have even if they may not be in love. The thing is we can't find true love...it finds us. I felt like you really got that idea across very well. Nice going!

on Jun. 17 2012 at 5:26 am
Songs_Along GOLD, Abcd, Other
16 articles 0 photos 65 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes we are only given a few minutes to be with the one we love and a thousand hours to spend just thinking about them."

Welldone! I share the same perception...We get gfs and bfs just make ourselves cool but actuaaly we are losing quite much of ourself in being cool.....love it! :)

livisan SILVER said...
on May. 26 2012 at 6:55 pm
livisan SILVER, Miami, Florida
8 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
Bad spellers Untie!

This was an interesting piece of work, however a little to Anti-Young love. Dating and crushing IS a part of childhood, and when people look back to their chilhood, they will fondly remember their first boyfriend and first kiss. It is very normal for people to "love" in teenage years, and as long as it isn't dictating every aspect of their life, i think it's fine.

Destiny2 said...
on Feb. 6 2012 at 9:09 am
Destiny2, Doha, Other
0 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new". Albert Einstein

I totally agree with you on everything except for the part where you said "there are more important things in life". When someone is in love, he/she cant actually realize anything more important or amazing! But the only time the lover snaps out of it, is when the affection goes down the drain. It is true there are important things in life, such as reaching your goals, and so on. But having a true relationship could also be topped as the MOST important. :)

ttyconfused said...
on Oct. 2 2011 at 9:56 pm
Do you think you can love someone and cheat on them? Like I'm pretty sure i've lost the one i love because i cheated not 1 or 2, but 3 times :S i dont know what makes me do it...maybe it's just a stage in my life. but now im pretty sure ive lost that person, and i feel more alone than ever. You know that song: 'you don't know what you've got till its gone...' yeah totally living that right now :/

kenny1234 said...
on May. 22 2011 at 1:09 pm
kenny1234, Edonie, Connecticut
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

hi! im very sure true love exists i found my love at the age of 14 she was 12 and now shes 16 and im 18 we ar still on the go we are still going thru hard times and scard whtr will loss eachother thats cz of true love i think you have to wait till you find the ryt person i found myn and im having the great time with her 

*young love exist to marriage (but have to wait till you find the ryt person) 


on May. 20 2011 at 11:03 am
ashley1012 BRONZE, Glasgow, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
Come askin for it and you will get

i relly dont know

Diianah <3 said...
on May. 11 2011 at 3:01 pm
i think that true love in teens does exist. i'm in love and in a way love is commitment because of your willing to be with that person for the rest of your life you hav eto commit yourself to every responsibility that comes with it... it's not just like being together and saying i love you... you have to show it to by being there always no matter what and being sure your gonna be able to be with that person always. remember that if you wanna get married you'll never fully know that person until you live with them because theirs going to be other needs other than hugs. besides to love is to be able to accept the changes their will be because every1 changes as time passes and when you get married the relationship will change but not in a bad way it will be better. to find true love is a matter of knowing what u want and what type of person ur looking for age doesn't matter lovee just comes when it's supposed to and if ur in love and for some reason u break up it's only because he/she wasn't the 1 4 u and later on that special person will come and u'll know it... i'm in love and i'm married i'm a teenager and that doesn't matter and don't get it wrong i didin't get married early kuz i waz pregnant or anything similar it was just true love that got me earlier... soo don't believe that true love doesn't exist and neither does it have 2 do with age it's just that 4 zome ppl it komez in diffrent stages of our livez... <3

on Apr. 26 2011 at 2:24 am
musiqqlvr31 BRONZE, Chennai,Tamil Nadu, Other
3 articles 0 photos 35 comments
I agree with you and I just don;t get the idea of puppy love..I mean What is that? Teenagers can love- losing yourself n love is what is dangerous.Love dosent mean commitment. No one can be ready for that until they're in their 30s or something!

on Apr. 16 2011 at 7:01 pm
HopelessRomantic1 SILVER, Reno, Nevada
5 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Love is like the wind, I can't see it, but I can feel it". -- Nicholas Sparks from "A Walk to Remember"

I think teenage love, true love really does exist.  I mean, look at all of the people who meet as adults and get married, and end up divorced.  Is there really an age that you reach that suddenly enables you to really know what true love is?  I think it can be felt no matter a person's age. 

on Apr. 4 2011 at 8:55 pm
I think that this is a great peice of writing, however I strongly feel that my views on love differ from yours.  Love simply cannot be compared to a hat, love is patient, love is kind, and love CAN exist in the hearts of many teenagers.  There are teenagers with the emotional and intelectual capacity to understand love. Coming from the young mind of someone who has experienced more in the years that I have been alive then I hope anyone ever even scratches the surface of,  I myself am not naive and I have learned to understand love. I do however, respect your opinion but I do think that you have a lot to learn about life and love.