A Note of My Love... Really? No, I'm just following the rules. | Teen Ink

A Note of My Love... Really? No, I'm just following the rules.

February 16, 2010
By LostAngel DIAMOND, Jersey, New Jersey
LostAngel DIAMOND, Jersey, New Jersey
65 articles 0 photos 89 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Just live your life, if people don't like the way you are doing it then they can get out of it" "if you can't stand me at my worst you dont deserve me at my best"


Today, my sister comes home from her afternoon kindergarten class all happy and giddy. Why, you might ask, because she was carrying a bag of Valentines that she had received that day from the other children in her class. This bag was covered in hand cut pink and red hearts. This was probably the happiest moment of my sister’s life.

She screams “Mom! Mom! Does he really love me?” right when she opens the front door as she is holding one of the classic store bought cards. You know the ones, that have Barbie or Power Rangers on them and say things like “You rock, will you be my Valentine” to “OMG you are my best friend, be my Valentine.” This one in particular was from a young boy named Joseph that my sister absolutely adores. The Valentine that she got from this young man said “You rock! Have a happy Valentine’s Day!” with a picture of the Jonas Brothers on the front.

This, she thinks, is a confession of his love. All my mom can say to answer her question was “Of course he does.” Good job mom! Telling your daughter that the boy she recently told me she asked to marry her, loves her. And all because he sent her a Valentine, just like he did with all the other girls, and boys for that matter, in that afternoon kindergarten class. You forgot to mention mom that he had to send her one, even if he despised my sister that young Joseph had to send her one. Those were the rules of the class; up until around fourth grade those will always be the rules. Will you continue to tell you precious daughter the lie that every boy that gives her a Valentine’s Day card loves her like she thinks she loves them Mom?

She continues to search her bag for other signs of affection. Of course, everyone in her class sent her a Valentine, because those were the rules. When my sister gets older will she think everyone who gives her a Valentine or says they love her actually love her? Will our parents and teachers continue to lie to the kids? Sending Valentines to everyone is a good idea I must admit. That way no one feels like an outcast, at least not until they get to fifth grade and the rule of giving everyone a Valentine is no longer in affect.

Another thing I must admit is that Valentine’s Day is my favorite holiday. Yet, I know the dark side of this candy and flower filled holiday. It gives the girls and boys of that afternoon kindergarten class and all over the world the wrong idea. When you are six you can’t even spell the word “love,” let alone know what it truly means. I am a teenager, and I still have trouble explaining exactly what it is.

And what about when the rules don’t apply anymore and the outcast finally realize it was just because they had to not because it actually meant something. When the real “loved” boys and girls get the Valentines and others are left to watch and wish. Not to mention when the teen love world gets even worse. Right now all my sister should be worrying about is learning how to tie her shoes, not when she’s going to tie the knot. Am I right, or am I just bitter?

Soon my sister will realize that this Joseph boy in her afternoon kindergarten class has moved on and so has she. That rule and store bought card will be long gone. Will my mom soon explain to her that boys think with the wrong head and rarely do what they are told or say they will? Will the rule of needing to give EVERYONE a Valentine be lifted? Or am I completely wrong and bitter in the fact that I didn’t see that maybe this Joseph kid really loves my sister?