Is Retirement a Viable Option for Tilikum? | Teen Ink

Is Retirement a Viable Option for Tilikum?

By Utkarsh178 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Utkarsh178 BRONZE, Sacramento, California

Over the past 32 years, Tilikum the elegant orca has been living his life full of boredom in a small pool in seaworld Orlando with tremendous lack of social interaction with other whales, which has led to reckless and really violent behaviour in the past and that has caused deaths of 3 trainers. This magnificent orca at the age of 34 is on the verge of death because of a lung infection. So, is retirement an option.

Orca’s like Tilikum are these huge highly developed whales that lead a life full of long distance travel with their family which is results keep them healthy, both mentally and physically.

Keeping Tilikum in an orca tank that is “one ten-thousandths of one percent (0.0001%) the size of the smallest home of wild orcas” is inhumane but making him do tricks, perform and making him dependent on human is even more inhumane.

At this point in time retirement is the only humane deed seaworld can do is to let Tilikum lead a happier life until his demise.

Even Though retirement seems like a great solution to end Tilikum’s agony. But, it’s not that easy as there aren’t a lot of options for the way Tilikum could retire. But there are some ways:

First, Orca sanctuary, and for quite a while now a group of scientist have been working on creating a sanctuary for marine animals like dolphin and orcas to retire. Orca sanctuary is going to be on a coast where scientist and marine biologist would monitor the animals and take care of them. Orca sanctuary would also allow the orca’s to swim long distances like they do in the wild.

Second, Is to release Tilikum in the ocean and let him be free but with the lung infection Tilikum has it is not a good option because he would need medical attention. Tilikum has also been a captive whale all his life. So, leaving him in the wild without him having any experience of the wild would just lead him to death.

Third, Is just leaving him in his glass cage in seaworld and not letting him perform. And this is the way seaworld wants Tilikum to retire because they always put forth the argument that tilikum has lived all his life in captivity and leaving him in the wild or the marine sanctuary will just be a death sentence for Tilikum.

With this small range of options the best retirement option for Tilikum is Marine life Sanctuary and this has been confirmed by marine biologist and orca expert Dr. Naomi Rose. In a response to seaworld and there theory of Sea pens being dangerous Dr. Naomi Rose said “The idea that sea pens in and of themself are dangerous is utterly ludicrous.”

Seaworld doesn't agree but still scientist, marine biologist and orca experts are creating a Sea pen for marine animals. So, Tilikum and other orcas can live a better life.

As a responsible, human citizen of this ecosystem I request you the readers to peacefully protest by writing letters to the government, seaworld and media and create awareness about the situation of Tilikum, And make Tilikum free again.

The inspiration of this article was "Blackfish" the documentry. And I would like people to peaefully protest to get Tilikum the orca free.