Labeling GMOs | Teen Ink

Labeling GMOs

Is it really necessary for every product that contains GMO’s be required to have labels?  Genetically modified organisms have been embedded into our lives for more than 30 years.  They speed the process of production up and have been proven to use less pesticides.  Labelling the products is not a food safety issue and will not harm the consumers if they are unaware of which products contain them.  The amount of energy and costs required to label the products outweighs the outcome.  Why do we really need these labels? Just to look at them for a few seconds then decide whether or not to buy the product.

A negative connotation is put upon GM foods.  When “genetically modified” is heard, Americans think negatively, but just look at the facts.  There has been no evidence to support the claim that they are harmful.  The majority of scientific experiments conclude that genetically engineered foods are safe.  “… the FDA says labeling of genetically modified foods isn’t needed because the nutritional content is the same as non-GM varieties.”  (Mary Clare Jalonick, lines 83-84).  Many well-known critics of food companies and unhealthy ingredients in foods don’t oppose GM foods because they haven’t found any evidence to show a health issue.  “All foods containing GE crops are regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency, the United States Department of Agriculture and the Food and Drug Administration.”  (Lyndee Charles, paragraph 4), which means that the foods are safe and healthy to eat.  These companies monitor what happens to the crops and to ensure that they are safe for consumption.  A review from an Italian scientist has so far shown no harmful effects along with many other research teams.
GM foods show no negative effects on people, if anything, they have helped us in many other ways.  First, GMO’s have shown no cause of any medical injuries/conditions.  They are less likely to have microbial contamination opposed to organic food, which are 4 to 8 times more likely to obtain that.  “The FDA says the foods they have evaluated to this point have not been any more likely to cause an allergic or toxic reaction than foods from traditionally bred plants.”  (Mary Clare Jalonick).  An example of a food that has actually helped people is golden rice, which reduces blindness.  Golden rice is a genetically modified grain.  GM foods have saved us money and made production faster.  They also use less pesticides.  GE foods have been around for a long time.  Farmers in the past used to pick which grains were the best and would conform them to benefit themselves.  Some foods we eat today, for example corn, was breed thousands of years ago.  Many restaurants and food companies use GM foods, for example Chipotle.  As population increases, so does the demand for food.  Companies, such as Monsanto, use GM foods to help speed up the process of production.  These grains are modified to adapt to certain temperatures and surroundings.  GM animals are bred to be healthier and have less diseases.       

Labeling GM foods will not benefit the economy.  They could discourage innovation, and it will be very expensive to manufacture and distribute labels, which will ultimately lead to a raise in food prices.  If this happens, many families won’t be able to afford/purchase products.  “Our current food system infrastructure could not handle this if GE food labeling was required.”  (Lyndee Charles, paragraph 9).  Also, most people don’t look at labels.  It’s a waste to spend tons of money on labels that people will only look at for a second then throw away.  If food prices are raised because of a simple label, poorer communities could slowly change into a food desert, which means that these communities will have less access to healthy food and access to a supermarket or grocery store.  

On the other hand, petitioners of this controversial topic will argue that people have to right to know what they are eating.  This is true, but to a certain extent.  If what they are eating is has shown no sign hurting the consumers then there’s no point in labeling them.  Though it will raise consumer awareness and they will know whether there can be an allergic reaction, there has been no reports of anyone being allergic to GM foods.

More than 70 percent of foods in American contain ingredients and products that have been modified.  The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) cannot legally require labels because there is no scientific difference between organic/ regular foods and GM foods.  “Some results show crop yields increasing by 4 to 8 percent in dry weather.  Other results suggest gains as much as 21 percent.” (Richard Williams).  The usage of pesticides has dropped by 37 percent, which dropped costs 39percent.  “… There are more carcinogens in a single cup of coffee than there are in all of the pesticide residue you consume in a year.” (Richard Williams).

It’s a debatable topic on whether GM foods should be labeled.  If you look at all the records and evidence, then you’ll see that GM foods aren’t harmful and are beneficial.  They’ve been around forever and will stay around for a while.  The FDA can’t legally put labels and f labels are required, it will cause a negative rippling effect on many families and the economy.  Labeling GM foods is not necessary and will not benefit anyone