Are Polar Bears the Next Dinosaurs? | Teen Ink

Are Polar Bears the Next Dinosaurs?

February 11, 2014
By Deda. BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Deda. BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." -Elbert Hubbard
I have a lot of favorite quotes, but I don't have enough space to write them all here.
And I just don't know..... so yeah. PEACE DUDES.


Are Polar Bears the Next Dinosaurs?




Imagine seeing your children’s children’s children a few hundred years in the future. All of the polar bears are extinct, as are many species, all humans have to wear masks because there is not enough clean air for us to breath, there are no more winters, and almost all clean water sources are gone. The whole world seems to be falling apart.

This is all because of us humans...

...because we didn’t take the opportunity to change the way we treat our only world.

This is our only planet, and we don’t get second chances, so we must begin to treat our home as if we really love it.

Greenhouse gases are expelled into our atmosphere when too many of them are produced here on Earth. They cannot escape and are trapped here, near Earth, which causes the planet to heat up and become inhospitable for life as we know it.

Governments should start to take responsibility for being a major contributor to global warming in our world, because it may jeopardize the future of our planet and all of its life.

Many species on Earth are in danger of extinction now and will continue to be so due to global warming. Some of them include penguins, the arctic fox, seals, flamingos, dolphins, fish and some turtles. Animals may not be capable of adapting to the weather so quickly. Throughout history, there have been countless climate changes. During these, many species adapt to suit the new climate, but the climate has never changed this quickly before. This will make it so that many animals won’t be able to survive the sudden, new weather conditions. Creatures all around the globe could suffer because of us humans. For example, polar bears spend the warmer months of the year hunting seal on sea ice to prepare for their eight months of hibernation. As the sea ice melts, they are not able to hunt and puts them in much danger. According to experts, the population of polar bears decreased fourteen percent from 1995-2004 and may decrease another thirty percent in thirty-five years. After surviving so much, what humans are doing to the world may be the end of these and many other amazing animals.

Humans will also most likely suffer in the future due to the global warming that we are causing now. Many clean water sources will become dirty, and will not be safe to drink. The temperature around the world will increase, which will cause many severe heat waves and contribute to a lack of fresh water. Scientists predict that by the year 2100, the sea levels may raise three or even fifteen feet. There will be much heavier and more precipitation, which could lead to more frequent and harsher floods. Also, tropical cyclones will become more intense. To add on to all of these horrible outcomes of global warming, the carbon dioxide in the air will make it harder to breath and may limit our amount of fresh, clean air.

Many people refuse to take responsibility for being a major contributor to the climate change on the Earth. They claim that there is no evidence to support the idea that we are affecting global warming in any way. Some businesses, industries and government officials all over the world don’t want to believe that this is happening. Cars may not sell as well, oil companies may not get as much business and houses by the sea may be hard to sell when people find out how much we are hurting the planet. To prevent people from knowing about global warming, some states make it illegal to publicly say anything about global warming, not teaching it in some schools and some people use old facts and evidence that they “stretch” and exaggerate to fight scientists.

But, there is evidence.

Everywhere.

It is hidden in the melting ice caps. It is visible where species are disappearing. It is noticeable in the gases that escape enormous factories. It is clear when we look at how the eight hottest years in recorded history have all occurred since 1998 or how there is more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere than there has been in the last 800,000 years.

As the planet heats up and we continue to produce massive amounts of carbon dioxide, methane and other greenhouse gases, all species on Earth will begin to suffer very quickly. We must all join together to try to prevent global warming from destroying our only home because, are we really willing to keep living as we are now, even if it means that our whole planet will suffer?


The author's comments:
We have to take action or else we are all going to suffer!