Summer Melts Winter | Teen Ink

Summer Melts Winter

January 17, 2023
By Anonymous

When deciding between which season is the best— many things come to mind. Many people it's between summer and winter. Extreme opposites, black and white. The dark, dreary, winter, or the fun, fantastic, summer. I strongly feel summer is 100% better than winter. But there are some things in winter that I like better than summer. These things are not a part of winter, as they only come in the season of winter. Like Christmas, but there are places where Christmas is in the summer. Winter is so cold here it's like bone chilling. So cold your eyes and nose feel like they are going to fall off. When I think about winter I think of death. Not many plants can survive in winter, many animals struggle as well — I feel their pain.

The main reason people love winter is because of the snow. If it were up to me I would never see snow again. Who loves to be so cold that their fingers turn purple. Who loves when they walk outside they need to be wearing layers on layers. I have to put on so many layers I feel like a burrito wrapped in so many items of clothes just to not feel like I'm getting hypothermia. Even the sound of winter pains me. 

“Crunch crunch crunch,” every step, over and over. Walking through the snow, every time. That sharp crunch of the snow cracking and crunching. But if you love to slip on ice walking or driving then you will love winter. Both accidents I have been in were due to driving in the snow. Everytime you get into your car you need to worry if you are going to slide off the road or into another car. Driving in the winter is gambling for your life. Temperatures can get as low as -30 degrees fahrenheit or lower. I get so cold I feel like my limbs fell off. So many negative things for winter, while summer is all joy and sunshine, literally. Who doesn't love stepping outside to luscious green plants and gardens. Beautiful flowers, birds chirping, bright warm sun, summer is perfect. No more layers on layers, no more slipping and sliding. 

Summer is the pure example of perfection. Sliding on snow turns into water skiing, wakeboarding, surfing, and tubing. Lakes, oceans, ponds, are now thaw and warm to swim in. Summer foods are the best food. Who doesn't love watermelon and BBQ? Maybe even the best reason for why summer is better than winter, no school. Free time to do whatever you want. Some choose to work and make money. Others use it to rest and take time off to care for themselves after being drained for nine months in a desk. All and all everything good about winter, summer does better.


The author's comments:

Living in Wisconsin, winter is something everyone loves but me.