Huntsville Recycling Program | Teen Ink

Huntsville Recycling Program

March 3, 2022
By c_wyatt88 BRONZE, Decatur, Alabama
c_wyatt88 BRONZE, Decatur, Alabama
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The city of Huntsville refuses to pick up recycling from commercial buildings. This prohibits schools and businesses from recycling through the government. Up to 80% of all waste in schools is recyclable, so by banning commercial recycling they are both hurting the community and contributing to the growing problem of pollution. According to city ordinances, “it is the responsibility of the business owner to secure disposal methods for commercial trash.” But, hiring a private recycling service isn’t cost effective and some schools don’t have the budget to do it. This city ordinance is discouraging recycling throughout schools, and teaching kids habits like throwing away things that are completely recyclable. Recycling would also cut down on the amount of waste schools have to dispose of. This would mean less trash that should be recycled, going to landfills. If the city of Huntsville started collecting commercial recycling again it would greatly benefit this city. They could effectively teach kids good recycling habits, cut down on the amount of garbage that is dumped into landfills or incinerated, which contributes to both air and land pollution, and contribute to an eco-friendly city. All in all, returning to the old recycling system would contribute to a better Huntsville. Use the URL below to sign a petition to change Huntsville's commercial recycling laws.

chng.it/7bJFwVjL