I do like Lady Gaga: A response to I don't like Lady Gaga | Teen Ink

I do like Lady Gaga: A response to I don't like Lady Gaga

February 16, 2011
By LizzyW. BRONZE, San Jose, California
LizzyW. BRONZE, San Jose, California
3 articles 1 photo 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Think it, do it, write it."


Some people love her to death, while others think her wild outfits and inappropriate song content is corrupting the world. How can one person cause so much controversy? I have to admit, I am an avid Lady Gaga fan. I would consider myself to be a “little monster” in all circumstances; however, I will still try to write a non-biased opinion of her position in the music industry.

Lady Gaga's unbelievable singing talent and amazing stage presence aside, she is a smart woman. She knows what gets people talking. Her crazy meat dress (September, 2010) received so much attention that people still talk about it today! In my opinion, this is not the type of stuff which causes her to have millions of screaming fans at all of her concerts. Her meat dress, for example, wasn't just to pull attention towards her and make some sales. The entire purpose around it was to raise awareness towards the don't as don't tell policy, which is something she was very against. In her Ellen DeGeneres interview her explanation for the meat dress was that “if you don't stand up for what you believe in, if you don't fight for your rights, pretty soon we are going to have as much rights as the meat on our bones.” Lady Gaga was in fact, voicing her opinion and standing up for what she believes in by wearing her meat dress. So if you believe that by standing up for what you believe in is manipulating people, then aren't you doing the exact same thing by complaining about Gaga?

When you said-- “the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?” I didn't completely understand. You are saying that Lady Gaga, the woman who has sold over fourteen million copies of The Fame and has a sold out Monster Ball tour, is saying that because everyone else doesn't have sparkling breasts and masks, that they aren't okay? Gaga has said it herself many times-” I am the least judgmental person you will ever meet”. Does this not mean anything? Does it not matter that she cries when she is on stage out of love for her fans? She is one of the most real and emotional performers I have ever seen.

Finally, I must say that Lady Gaga is a little more complex then you may think. Contrary to your belief that she is just some bippity boppity pop star who wears weird clothes and sings songs about sex and drugs, she is an intelligent and talented woman. I may have said this before, but she graduated from NYU's Tisch School of Arts. Not every attention hog with freaky hair can make it into that school.

Lady Gaga is more than the average pop star. She is a strong woman who shares her opinions openly. She is someone I think many people should look up to. In response to your article: I don't like Lady Gaga: here is the only thing I have to say-
I am a little monster and I'm proud of it.


The author's comments:
I wrote this in 30 minutes after I read "I don't like Lady Gaga" so please excuse any grammatical errors.