Vampires | Teen Ink

Vampires

January 31, 2011
By Bayvagher BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
Bayvagher BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

One day little Sally Jensen turned on the T.V. and started to watch a show called Twilight. Over months of watching it, Sally’s 4:00 showtime turned into 4:00 and 9:00 then 4:00, 9:00, and 10:00. As an outraged parent, Sally’s mom Mary started to notice that Sally was changing. Mary started to notice changes in mood, color and, teeth structure, but Mary thought that it was just a phase. However, over the next year, Sally changes her name to Bella, 2 fangs are in place of her canines, she sleeps in a coffins, and she claims that she shines whenever she’s in the light.
Do you want this to happen to your daughter? Or maybe even your son?

Are you sick of vampires taking over the world?

I’m a person who hasn’t been so fond of the whole vampire phenomenon and quite frankly I'm sick of all the movies, shows, books, etc. See there’s two categories which all things are put into, Monsters and Imaginary beings. Ever since Twilight, vampires have started a new category. Imaginary monstrous, things, with fangs, that think they are cool. With a category like that there must be other things to go with it than not being cool. Like one thing, why would you want to sleep in a coffin? Claustrophobic much? Next, the topic of fangs. I mean biting people is so 2000-and-late!
The topic of vampires started in the early 90’s with the show Buffy the Vampire Slayer and movies like Blade, Blood thirsty, and Interview with a Vampire. This widespread frenzy has caused new heights on the now old topic. Books and movies have been a powerhouse of material for vampires, which brings me to the conclusion of why is the vampire industry such a riveting source of entertainment.
See six years ago the series called Twilight came out and swept the nation, on the heals of the bestselling Harry Potter series. The appeal of magic and monstrous beings helped lead the way to new shows and movies. Even though the books have been out for four years longer than the movies, the movies have set foot to an explosion of sales in vampires merchandise. In 2008 my school had recently found out about Twilight and after two months of reading and watching the school was divided by who was Team Edward or Team Jacob. People were cruising around with sweatshirts, t-shirts, necklaces, backpacks, and all they could could get a hold of that had Twilight written on it or what team they were on. Soon after my fellow classmates that I had been hanging out with were engrossed in the media, fashion, and trends that came with the epidemic. As a person who is not so fond of vampires, and doesn't understand the appeal of Twilight, as quoted by Stephanie Meyer herself. “Sometimes I wonder if I was seeing the same things through my eyes that the rest of the world was seeing through theirs?” doesn’t mean that if I don’t like vampires and if I don’t want to read the books that I can understand the views of why people like vampires.
92% of people who said that they were sick of vampires were indefinitely fed up with what vampires were becoming. They are becoming who were vegetarians, and things that are not blood-thirsty and things that don’t hiss and the light and that actually shine in the light. Not the real definition of a vampire.