Girls aren't funny! | Teen Ink

Girls aren't funny!

By ResistMe PLATINUM, New Tazewell, Tennessee
ResistMe PLATINUM, New Tazewell, Tennessee

These past few years,I've noticed more and more,that girls are just not considered funny in the new age.
The media,all these movies and television sitcoms; women are not the funny characters,hardly ever.
There are indeed several exceptions,but I'm referring to the majority of this issue.
Okay,when a boy gets smacked upside the head with a boat oar,its usually laugh out loud hilarious.
However,when a female is knocked upside the noggin' in a humorous way,it gives off an extremely uncomfortable feeling.

Besides that fact that women are just not considered good for the 'goofy characters' these days,there is also this..

When a girl is discussing a boy she has an interest in,she may refer to him as the following..
'He's is such a cutie,he's so friendly. And man,is he funny!'

But,on the flipside,when a boy is talking about a female love interest,
'She's fine,man. Fuhh-inee. And man,that girl can make 'em laugh,she's so funny.'
No,this does not normally happen.

I'm somewhat shocked at what we as a society consider normal.Has anyone checked out the female:male ratios in recent history?
The boys are always the dominant and funny characters.Look at your favorite movies. And no,I'm not talking about the sisterhood of the traveling pants.
Movies like,The Sandlot,Ice Age,Up!
You know,the works. Look at the male:female ratios. A tad strange don't you think?
It is hilarious and perfectly acceptable to watch on television and in films as men run into walls,get beaten up by some bigger being,slip and fall on their faces,get smacked around,and just
beaten to pulps in humorous ways in general.
However,if you slip in a girl as the comical character,it isn't funny at all,and is deemed as simply unacceptable.

Its really quite noticable that women have taken the short end of the media stick here,for considered 'just the way these things are.'
I'm quite positive,at some end points in the media override,these imbalances have been recognized,but imagine how much hassle it would be
to change these things.
Maybe its the only way money will pour in,from these huge movie franchises.
Simply irritating if you ask my opinion.
I don't deem this acceptable at all.
I'm still,quite surprised that this is what our society has become used to,and this is what is considered 'normal.'
I don't know about you,but when I was little,even though being a girl,when me and my friends played Scooby-Doo,I was always Shaggy.
Always.
Think these things over.
You'd be surprised just how many rather strange things the media has turned 'normal' in the public eye.

I know other people have had to of noticed these things.
Really,girls aren't funny?

kksexi12 said...
 not all of us need protection except for s_e_x.   lol Me personally i can handle myself, i play footbal, soccer, baseball, basketball, kickboxing, boxing, fighting, streetfighting, i do comedy at school, i can kick most guys butt, i fish, i hunt, i climb, i sing and i run track. i dont need protection.  

warner1 said...

Tina Fey...one of the comedic masterminds of our time. She is brilliant.

Amy Poehler...Also great.

Both have a show on NBC, come out with atleast one movie a year, and currently write/appear on NBC frequenty.

I totally agree with what you're saying! I was just thinking about that the other day. I really appreciate girls like Chelsea Handler, who has her own show and three humorous books. I think that it's definately unfair that men are portrayed as the comical ones most of the time.

MarinaOreo GOLD, King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania

"Your soul is the whole world" -Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

Well..I understand what you're saying. But I don't see one society in the world that ISN'T patriarchal. It's unfortunate.

Kat2292 BRONZE said...
Kat2292 BRONZE, Canfield, Ohio

"If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0." ~Mark
"Life's like a novel with the end ripped out." ~Rascal Flatts

I think you're exactly right!  More recently, you always see the girl as a delicate figure that needs protecting.  I'm not saying that we aren't in need of protection, but we also have a fun side to us where we just want to make others laugh.  Great topic! :D

exactly!

haha,it's crazy.

thanks for the comment!:)

123abc456def said...
on Apr. 6 2010 at 9:48 am
You are so right. On TV and movies girls are delicate and if something that would be humorous if a boy character did it is done on a girl, viewers are offended!