A Latent Addiction | Teen Ink

A Latent Addiction MAG

I have recently been diagnosed with an addiction - to coffee. And I am not alone. This is a problem among Americans of all ages. The coffee shop has become a social staple in our culture. Its enticing aroma, cozy and inviting atmosphere, and sophisticated-sounding menu are difficult to resist, especially if you struggle with an addiction like mine.

But, when you look past the leather couches and coffees named after European cities, all you’ll find is coffee, milk, and a little caramel sauce. Anyone can buy an espresso maker and a container of CoffeeMate and create the same drink that, say, Starbucks does, for a lot less. The only difference between your homemade coffee and Starbucks is that they put it in a cute cup and throw on some whipped cream to convince us that we are treating ourselves to a well-deserved respite from the rigors of everyday life. And we believe them, too, and buy into the idea that drinking their coffee improves our quality of life.

So, next time “white chocolate mocha” begins echoing in your mind, you’ll have to make a decision: will you continue to be one of the millions of brainwashed Americans who live for their next trip to Starbucks, or will you rise above it? My advice: dare to resist and just say no.

ambnyc SILVER said...
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss

Are you serious?

What's next - reading addiction?

Oh, my God. Seriously? People have gotten tired of saying "MARIJUANA IS bAD!!11" so now they've turned to caffeine.

It's a VERY MILD addiction, at best, easy to break. This is so ridiculous.

Rachel Keown BRONZE, Parkesburg, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I'm one of the people who lives for their next trip to starbucks.

ashley1012 BRONZE, Glasgow, Kentucky

Come askin for it and you will get

i think that this article is pretty good becuase i never new that coffee was addictive

Dragonscribe BRONZE, West Lafayette, Indiana

"A Person's a Person no Matter how Small"
and
"A Rose by Any Other Name Would Smell as Sweet"
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

Bethani, just out of curiousity - why don't you drink coffee? Is it because it's a drug? In that same effect, do you not drink alcohol? What about prescription drugs? Just curious.

musicprincess PLATINUM, Braselton, Georgia

They say that love is forever, your forever is all that I need

Yeah, coffee is kind of gross

and
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

seriously? well, so does fast food.

and
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

cool - i'm not Mormon but coffee's not really my thing either.

bjmcrank GOLD said...
bjmcrank GOLD, Dayton, Ohio
my dads addicted to mcdonalds ice coffees. he has heart problems so hes trying to cut back.

thelivingmanpt2 BRONZE, El Monte, California

i like it when the red water come out
~salid fingers

yeah, they really do go out of there way to make their costumers feel relaxed ahaha

i like it when the red water come out
~salid fingers

lolz

coffee and cigarettes

good film and great combination

and i really do like the sophisticated menu like names

funny article

MotivatedD said...
MotivatedD, Killeen, Texas

The saying that i'll never forget is in (The Family That Praise) and the quote is are you living or are you exsisting

i agree with you. i think coffee is used like it is a drug. i think half of the time it dosent even work. I think that we as people should make a tatic to motivate ourselves and not necssesarily keep running to coffee every time we get. It's ok to drink coffee every once in a while but not to be so dependent on it.

So just think, is that the onlt thing you can do to get pumped up?

MotivatedD said...
MotivatedD, Killeen, Texas

i agree with you about how great the article was  great. its so true. Coffee is like a drug, as us as people we think that its good and is helping us but it really dosent

bennyB PLATINUM, Memphis, Tennessee
you wrote a piece about coffee seriously??

t.i.m.n_w PLATINUM, Iqaluit, Other

When oppertunites come, don't be afraid to try for them, they might open doors to bigger and better things.

i don't like coffee, and i don't think i ever will.

Bethani GOLD said...
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Life is perfect until you sit back and realize how boring it is without risks.

I'm Mormon and we don't drink coffee. I've studied the health benefits and harms and it's just better to not have it. Your heart stays stronger. I was given a chance to go against my faith when I was given free coffee from starbucks but instead I gave it to a friend. 

Peace420 BRONZE, Williston, Florida
Well that's good for you

edwardcullen4always SILVER, Rock Hill, South Carolina

"If you feed a man a fish you feed him for a day, but if you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."

Aha. You remind me of my granmother. i am visiting her for a few weeks and she drinks a pot of coffe in the morning and a pot at night while smoking.

Emmasmommy4610 SILVER, Ocean Shores, Washington

"If you don't hit the ground hard, you'll never know what its like to get up and learn to fly."

Lately I've developed quite the coffee problem haha. Yesterday alone, I downed 3 pots. Then got extremely sick and realized that maybe 3 cups is enough for a day. I have a 3 month old daughter, so coffee and cigarettes do come in handy. And when I'm brainstorming for a story, article, some type of writing....I've learned that my writers block goes away if I sit outside with a cup of coffee and a smoke. :)

I'm not justifying either habit/addiction, just admitting that they are both pretty strong and I can't resist. I hate smoking, but addictions love to be fed.

We'll ya I know that now. That was a while ago. My mom is addicted to caffine and my grandma to nicotine.

I agree, but you do have to understand that mine and your past drug addictions may be severe to us because we've been there. Maybe this author hasn't really had a severe addiction. Instead of feining for a cocaine fix, she feins for a caffiene fix.

Thats what sucks about some people...addiction is addiction and the severity of the addiction differs from person to person based on experience.