Adults: Give Them Some Room to Breathe | Teen Ink

Adults: Give Them Some Room to Breathe

By Mickee BRONZE, Yorktown Heights, New York
Mickee BRONZE, Yorktown Heights, New York

Erica Albright (Rooney Mara): "You are going to go through life thinking that girls don't like you because you're a nerd. And I want you to know from the bottom of my heart that that won't be true. It'll be because you're an asshole."

Mark Zuckerberg: "I think if your clients want to sit on my shoulders and call themselves tall, they have the right to give it a try, but there's no requirement that I enjoy sitting here listening to people lie. You have part of my attention - you have the minimum amount. The rest of my attention is back at the offices of Facebook, where my colleagues and I are doing things that no one in this room, including and especially your clients, are intellectually or creatively capable of doing. Did I adequately answer your condescending question?

"You're not the same as you were before, You were much more...muchier...you've lost your muchness."
I feel like I just found out my favorite love song was written about a sandwich.

I agree with this article, but I would also like to point out that adults need to be nicer to any teen that has started with drugs or any other thing u learn your not supposed to do. I know we learn how these things are bad in about a million different ways, but the problem is, if we try them, it isnt really our fault. the world we live in has been made so safe for kids. too safe. During childhood, a childs natural behavior is to challenge themselves to see what their limits are. They may jump off of a step and say, I can do that. Then jump off of a swing set and break their bone, and learn, I cannot do that. This is how a child learns their limits and boundries, or stepping stones, that will then grow as the child grows up. Here inlies the problem with this new overly safe world of ours. Children no longer jump off of the swing set, and learn their boundries and limits. This leads to teens testing their boundries and limits on a much bigger scale: drugs, alcohol, smoking and more. It is obvious that breaking a leg jumping off a swing set isn't nearly as bad as killing yourself with drugs, getting cancer, or emphysema (pardon my spelling,) but because of all of the safety regulations, it is almost impossible for these natural childhood behaviors to take place, resulting in them being put off untill the child has grown into a teenager, where they will hurt themselves to test their limits in a more dangerous way then they would of as a child. This is why adults dealing with a teenager who has "fallen under the influence" should be more considerate and compassionate. I don't mean that they should get away with it. I am merely suggesting that these adults try to help the teens more than scream at them and lock them up forever, which will also prevent teens from reaching out and having a good relationship with the adults around them, which is key in keeping a teen drug free and safe. Knowing that no adult out there is going to help or support you could be one reason for the start of drug use too. To wrap it up, adults need to give children and teens some room to breathe. Don't abandon them, but don't lock them in there rooms and keep them from trying new things, experimenting, or even from minor injuries that result in the necessary lessons of life.

This was originally going to be a comment for a piece called, "Why Science is Making Life Boring..." but it was much to deep and long so I made my own opinion.