Please Say No To Drugs! | Teen Ink

Please Say No To Drugs!

September 26, 2009
By CelticThundeGurl SILVER, Benson, North Carolina
CelticThundeGurl SILVER, Benson, North Carolina
7 articles 0 photos 130 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is time for us to realize that we are too great a nation to limit ourselves to small dreams."






















- Pres. Ronald Reagan


I beg every teenager that comes to this website, to say "no" to drugs. You have more influence on your friends and peers than you could imagine. It all starts with the thought that either it's cool to do drugs or you can just do it once without it affecting you. Drugs have a terribly strong hold on those who fall to them. There are so many teens who o.d. every year. They didn't think that doing a small ammount of drugs would ruin their lives, but you can see what happens to them all. That fate could be our friends'. We could save their lives if we would just take a stand! Be a different teen! Make a difference in your friends lives!



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 138 comments.


on Sep. 1 2010 at 4:18 pm
Hailezzluvturtles BRONZE, Spring Valley, New York
1 article 2 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover.

then you should think about the people avoiding you and thinking your a crackhead before you decide to ruin your health, life... etc.

on Jul. 27 2010 at 1:33 am
NotForSqaures SILVER, Flower Mound, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's better to be hated for who you are than liked for who you're not" -Not Sure

*cough* weed doesn't kill you *cough* but I do agree that eleven year old should not be using it

on Jul. 27 2010 at 1:29 am
NotForSqaures SILVER, Flower Mound, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's better to be hated for who you are than liked for who you're not" -Not Sure

I don't know how many times I can say this. It depends what kind of drug. Not all drugs are the same, but school systems like to make them seem that way so we avoid them altogether. I am not a drug user, but I am quite knowledgeable when it comes to the topic. Obviously cocaine is worse than weed. If you had to pick, you would pick weed. It's completely unrealistic to say that teens are going to give up drugs completely, so wouldn't it be better to teach teens which drugs are the worst and which have the least negative side-effects so they can make their own decisions?

on Jul. 27 2010 at 1:23 am
NotForSqaures SILVER, Flower Mound, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's better to be hated for who you are than liked for who you're not" -Not Sure

Sorry for such a long comment. I didn't realize it was so long. Oh, and to the writer: I appreciate the message you are sending, just try researching ahead of time.

on Jul. 27 2010 at 1:21 am
NotForSqaures SILVER, Flower Mound, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's better to be hated for who you are than liked for who you're not" -Not Sure

I'm really sorry about your friend. I hope you aren't claiming she overdosed on marijuana, though. If so, you may want to check what other drugs she's on, because that's impossible. Not to be rude, but I would also like to comment on the lack of proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation in the comment section. You are on a website for writers, shouldn't you use your writing skills?

on Jul. 27 2010 at 1:17 am
NotForSqaures SILVER, Flower Mound, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's better to be hated for who you are than liked for who you're not" -Not Sure

I personally think this article needs revision. The term "drug" covers a very broad spectrum. It is easiest if you single out a drug, such as marijuana. Also, I advise you to research the topic a bit more before stating "drugs are bad." I am not a regular drug user myself, but I have done my fair share of research and I'd like to clear up some common misconceptions. There are little to no confirmed deaths from just the use of marijuana. While it can affect your health, (I read Shannon_Bananon's link) you have to realize that most of the side effects are of less than or equal severity of smoking cigarettes. Also, there are several holes in the article Shannon posted. If you read under "Cancer" The article clearly states...here, I'll quote...

"Studies linking marijuana smoking to lung cancer have also been limited by selection bias and small sample size. For example, the participants in those studies may have been too young to have developed lung cancer yet. Even though researchers have yet to "prove" a link between smoking pot and lung cancer, regular smokers may want to consider the risk."

The wording also suggests that this author is extremely biased and trying their very best to seem unbiased.

 

Oh, and read 

"Most marijuana smokers consume a lot less cannabis than cigarette smokers consume tobacco, however the harmful effects of smoking marijuana should not be ignored."

 

Another misconception: Marijuana does not cause permanent brain damage. It can cause temporary lapses in judgement, disorientation, hallucinations and delusions, but that depends on how much you use.

 

To conclude, I am not promoting the use of any illegal drugs, nor do I know these facts from personal experience. I am simply stating, that if you are going to worry about drugs, don't nit-pick at the pot smokers. Worry about cocaine and heroin addicts. That stuff is serious and needs to be dealt with.

 

Oh, and don't think it's "Your Duty" to stop people from smoking weed. You should worry about yourself until they start using the serious drugs. If you really hate weed so much, then don't do it.

Thank you for your time


on Jul. 16 2010 at 1:04 pm
everthought BRONZE, Vancouver, Other
1 article 13 photos 69 comments

Favorite Quote:
"forever is the new now"
-anonymous

Just to let everyone know, drugs and the user are 2 different things. A person who does drugs can be a good person at heart. Just because you do drugs doesn't mean you are a crackhead and should be avoided.

on Jul. 16 2010 at 1:02 pm
everthought BRONZE, Vancouver, Other
1 article 13 photos 69 comments

Favorite Quote:
"forever is the new now"
-anonymous

a real friend would listen what you have to say.

on Jul. 6 2010 at 4:47 pm
Hippiechick10 SILVER, One Stoplight Town, Connecticut
7 articles 0 photos 83 comments

Favorite Quote:
Those who deny freedom to others , deserve it not for themselves. (Abe Lincoln)

Yeah, it is. Drugs seem to ease a person's pain for what? an hour? maybe longer? mean while it's killing you.That's horrible how her brother actually lets her have drugs... and that he does them too.

on Jul. 6 2010 at 4:42 pm
Hippiechick10 SILVER, One Stoplight Town, Connecticut
7 articles 0 photos 83 comments

Favorite Quote:
Those who deny freedom to others , deserve it not for themselves. (Abe Lincoln)

You are right. To get a point across, you need to have reasons.

on Jul. 6 2010 at 4:40 pm
Hippiechick10 SILVER, One Stoplight Town, Connecticut
7 articles 0 photos 83 comments

Favorite Quote:
Those who deny freedom to others , deserve it not for themselves. (Abe Lincoln)

You're totally right. Drugs ruin everything, turning hopes and dreams to dust. At my school, police officers come in and tell us stories of kids and adults who use drugs. It's heartbreaking and sad. Don't throw your life away to look cool or be "popular" on drugs. Stay safe and alive. Great point you made.

Tonnie6 BRONZE said...
on Jun. 22 2010 at 9:11 pm
Tonnie6 BRONZE, Lynnwood, Washington
2 articles 2 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't take life too seriously, you don't get out alive anyways."

That's funny, I agree with you completely. Define drugs in your work and realize that drug addiction varies. Also take into a account nature vs nurture. Ones environment plays a huge part in something as "drug addiction", and so does hereditary. Saying "No" to drugs is stupid, smart but stupid. People need to make their own mistakes and they need to have someone there to hold them up when something goes wrong. No one will listen to you to saying no if they don't have a good enough reason too.

DaisyC. said...
on Jun. 17 2010 at 9:16 am
DaisyC., North Bennington, Vermont
0 articles 0 photos 111 comments
Haha...I was thinking the same thing. When I saw the title it was like "agg...you're blameing Obama for drug use? really?"

on Jun. 7 2010 at 2:26 pm
fortheloveofwriting GOLD, A Place, Oklahoma
11 articles 13 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~Pablo Picasso


Love is patient, love is kind; it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
1 Corinthians 13:4
A man's ways are his own, but the LORD weighs the heart.

I'm so sorry to hear that; drugs ruin lives and those taking it don't realize how they are hurting not only themselves but also those who love them. PLEASE don't touch them.

on May. 27 2010 at 8:01 am
mutekid016 GOLD, Gap, Pennsylvania
12 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Remember when you play like a girl used to be an insult?" Mia Hamm

I agree with that so much! Weed is actually legal if bought legally. it's good for killing the pain in cancer

 


kiwi13 said...
on May. 17 2010 at 3:39 pm
well then i dont think she like you sorry

*--JEDI--* said...
on May. 17 2010 at 3:35 pm
Thank you so much kiwi that was a lot of help...but I have talked to her but she keeps calling me names! I wish we were just friends again

kiwi13 said...
on May. 17 2010 at 3:33 pm
well *--jedi--* i think you should tell your friend "kelsey" how you feel about her doing drugs and mabe ahe will stop or if shes like me she wont stop doin crack everyday hope this helps

*--JEDI--* said...
on May. 17 2010 at 3:30 pm
Ok well thanks kiwi. But my friends kelsey doesnt agree with me and it just makes me so upset. She has no oidea how I feel about her doing drugs. i hate it!!!! What do I do?

kiwi13 said...
on May. 17 2010 at 3:27 pm
im so sorry that that makes you mad it makes me mad to i tottaly agree with you to dont be sad