When Happy People Tell You How Depressed They Feel | Teen Ink

When Happy People Tell You How Depressed They Feel

October 24, 2015
By MidnightDrexm BRONZE, Switzerland, Other
MidnightDrexm BRONZE, Switzerland, Other
2 articles 2 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
- It's better to fail in originality than to succeed in immitation.


I'd like to talk about a certain ''trend'' that's been going on for a while.


Every day, more and more girls think it's ''cool'' and ''interesting'' to tell people just how much their lives suck by updating their statuses.


Whatsapp bios aren't about casually saying what you're up to, who your friends are or sharing inspirational quotes like they used to be. Now they seem to be filled with depressing, morbid lies such as, '' Smiling on the outside, dying on the inside''.


And I know you're going to tell me that a lot of girls really are sad or ask me what I know about it.
Well here's the thing: People who really are sad, who truly feel they're dying on the inside don't go around telling everyone about it on Facebook. And even if they decide to open up, WHY would they even bother faking a smile if they were just going to tell everybody about it online anyway. Might as well tell people how alone you feel in real life. It's much more purposeful than telling your 300 followers about it. Since everyone does it, it's not as if it's going to be taken seriously.


'' Don't expect to see positive changes in your life if you surround yourself with negative people''. - quotes gram


But how can I even do that if the only people around me, mentally and physically healthy people who live in prosperity, are constantly ''faking smiles'' and ''feeling alone''?


How can I be positive when my best friends,who are supposed to tell me everything, stay silent yet tell their Facebook friends that they haven't even met know about the monsters inside their heads?


So for all the girls out there complaining and whining behind screens. Do you have a terrible illness? Do you live on the street? Are you a 15 year old girl being forced to marry a middle-aged man? Nope, I didn't think so. Maybe one day life will give you something to complain about but for now be grateful and start doing things for others for a change instead of sitting around and thinking about how you much hate your life.
And if your life really is a mess, do something about it. Writing about it on social media is not going to change anything.


Some people are actually depressed and none of them appreciate their illness being glamorized in this way.


The author's comments:

This is something that has been going on more and more and it isn't right. If you have a different opinion I won't judge you, just please comment below and tell me why.