Fair or Unfair: Dress Code Violations and Young Women | Teen Ink

Fair or Unfair: Dress Code Violations and Young Women

By forever_ally SILVER, Pickens, South Carolina
forever_ally SILVER, Pickens, South Carolina

ride or die

The idea of a young woman's shoulder showing or wearing yoga pants being a distraction towards boys during school is absolutely insane.  Understand that there is a place and time for certain clothing such as night wear swimsuit, but telling a girl that her clothing is just a distraction for the class, is like taking away any female rights for self-expression. It is a priory to make our schools an ideal learning environment, giving children and young adults a safe place to learn and get an education.  But being a distraction towards the boys is an issue? Yes girls these days must learn to respect themselves but how can it be fair for when its hot girls cannot wear their shorts, or dresses. How come when it’s nice outside and they do not want to wear jeans so they choose to wear leggings.  Why is this such an issue? How could a shoulder be such a problem and distraction towards others in a class?  Covering areas to be appropriate is common sense.  But learning to control yourself is also such a thing.  Teachers head districts of schools should focus more on school then being focused on what girls should and should not wear.

What schools should really be doing is setting up a truly ideal learning environment is one where we are all taught to respect each other; regardless of our clothing choices. The dress codes at my school is mainly geared towards girls. It isn't our fault if people are able to be distracted.  My thoughts on school is to be able to come knowing I’m here for one thing and that’s my education not worrying some guy is to concentrated on my clothing style.  Not worrying that my dress is not once inch above the knee, and definitely not worrying that they will hinder my chances of learning.

there will come a time when we all need to dress for our choice of work whether it is a professional job or working in a factory.  School might think they are setting us up to be prepared for this choice of ours to come ahead but those are our choices on being an adult.

Not only can we sit here and say that others shouldnt be so focused on our clothing but when you go to the stores, about to do school shopping, most clothing now a days are made short, made to show shoulders, or made to be tight.  It can be hard to find such clothing to wear to school that meets all demands made by the school.  How can you blame us for what we cant control.  

Rant of the day, hate seeing such sweet girls at school be in trouble for things so small as this.

MidnightDrexm BRONZE, Switzerland, Other

- It's better to fail in originality than to succeed in immitation.

I agree with you. My friend got sent home for wearing an off-shoulder top.