What's So Bad About the Mormons? | Teen Ink

What's So Bad About the Mormons?

July 12, 2012
By Phatguru BRONZE, Huntington Beach, California
Phatguru BRONZE, Huntington Beach, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Everyone has heard about Mormons but what exactly is a Mormon for sure. Mitt Romney a man running for the chance to be the president of the United States is a Mormon and many don’t want him in office for just that reason. So what is the big deal about Mormons that makes them so bad? Perhaps it is because they are known for things such as the men having multiple wives, or having their own extra bible, and all the way to having large temples which only they can go into. Mormons are given many stereotypes but how can we know which of them are true? Does anyone whom criticizes Mormons have a clue of what they are truly all about? Research into the Mormon religion or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has come to show anyone who believes in the many stereotypes given to Mormons are simply too lazy to get off their social network and inform themselves and find out the truths for themselves.

Mormons have this sickening “love thy neighbor” attitude, and if you know a Mormon with a firm belief in their religion they are most of the time out doing something for someone else, doing a fundraiser, volunteering for a humanity project, helping a family with a member whom is sick, they are selfless people. Honestly it is sickening. The very thought of people constantly only wanting to help another person in need purely to help the other person and seeking no reward makes you pose the question is it all an act? What has been shown is no it isn’t an act, it is their chosen way of life. Mormons believe Jesus Christ to be the corner stone of their religion and try their hardest to be as much Christ-like as possible and as most people know Jesus Christ was the most perfect being to walk on this earth only ever serving his fellow man. Why then do people give them such a hard time if they are such good people? Perhaps it is because their organization of Christianity was formed much later than others and it just makes them an outcast. However the LDS church believes in 1832 when the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was founded that their church and their gospel of truth was simply being restored to the earth after end of the great apostasy which began with the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and the deaths of his 12 apostles. The Great Apostasy is the name given to the time when there was no priesthood on the earth for those of you whom aren’t familiar with biblical terms. Though the religion is backed with biblical references just like any other religion claims so then why are the Mormons the center of religious persecution? Mormons don’t have the reputation like Catholic school girls whom go out dressed with minimal clothing and dance suggestively, it isn’t being said that all Catholic school girls are like this, however it is proven to be true by that many Catholic girls do act like this. It is also proven teenage Mormon girls practice great moral values which many people should have such as clean language, wear only modest clothing which covers the shoulders and goes down to the knee, they listen to clean and non-suggestive music, no sex before marriage and last of all they dance like it’s the 80’s not the disgusting rubbing up on another person practiced by many teens today. There was a huge fundraiser for medical aid in Huntington Beach California called “Dance Marathon” where teens from the entire Huntington Beach Union High School District were allowed to attend, each student was said to be inspected for proper clothing and proper dancing throughout the night, however the dance got so dirty that the dance is forever canceled. Something which was supposed to provide money for a good cause simply show-cased the corrupt and fowl youth of today with minimal clothing such as “booty shorts” and “boob tubes” or for some even less, and the conduct of the students went further than just grinding, sexual intercourse actually happened between some students at this dance. Now perhaps there were some LDS youth there, but many weren’t, many actually chose to go to a stake dance where LDS youth from several areas in southern California are invited to each Saturday night, and the DJ plays appropriate and non-sexual music, there are chaperones whom make sure no inappropriate dancing occurs, but most importantly the youth have a golden rule in which they say “Leave room for Jesus” whenever dancing occurs between two people. It is astonishing to see that there are people today whom still practice good wholesome morale values, the youth every day go into a high school where it isn’t an ideal situation for them; they get up each morning for a church class called seminary for an hour to forty-five minutes before school and then try and remain within their standards outlines in a pamphlet called “For the Strength of Youth” while everyone else at school usually aren’t doing anything remotely close to their standards. Such youth should be admired and frankly it would be best if all teenagers had this kind of structure in their lives it would make for a much better well rounded society. Why wouldn’t people want to raise their children with the morale’s of the LDS church?

The Mormons have a legit religion considering there are well over 13 million members worldwide, and they aren’t a cult and force the members to act a certain way since even over bearing teens decide to follow along willingly, the question is still posed of what makes Mormons so bad? From what has been researched the Mormons deserve just as much respect as any other person on this earth. Mormons do not go around persecuting others because someone does something that they don’t believe is right, of course they think you shouldn’t do it and they won’t do it, but they won’t go up to you and kill you or tar and feather you just because of something you did. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints shouldn’t be judged because of their religious choice, just like no one else should be judged by their religious choice. Religion is one of the few things a person has to choose wholly and fully for themselves, and should never be persecuted or excluded or subjected to anything purely because their religious views are different from yours or your school or even your country. Everyone deserves to believe in what they want, and only what they want.


The author's comments:
My inspiration for this piece was watching the news one day and someone said that they wouldn't vote for Mitt Romney because he is a mormon, plus I had always heard things and stereotypes about mormons, so I took an objective lense and scoped out Mormons. I hope that people will learn to no be so judgmental and not discriminate someone based off of their religion. Everyone has their own rights to believe what they want to believe and no one should be treated different just because their beliefs are different from another person's, that is what people get out of this.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 44 comments.


on Oct. 10 2021 at 2:13 pm
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont
200 articles 23 photos 1053 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

forums have been down for a good while tho

on Oct. 10 2021 at 2:13 pm
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont
200 articles 23 photos 1053 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

oh cool!

on Jun. 25 2021 at 6:51 pm
WolfGurl PLATINUM, Not A Real Place, Indiana
20 articles 5 photos 177 comments

Favorite Quote:
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. –Anatole France.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. –Josh Billings

Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.- George Carlin

A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people. —Franklin D. Roosevelt

Never lose. Either win, or learn. - Me

@SparrowSun
I'll check it out. (The forum)

Since I am also from the Church of latter day saints, I do not agree with the veiws other people have about us... As a rather innocent teen, I didn't even kno people thot this...

And yes, "Love God love others"!!!!!

on Nov. 27 2020 at 2:34 am
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont
200 articles 23 photos 1053 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

btw to members of the church i made a forum sort of support group and place for other ppl to ask us questions. its in phycolagy and debate I think. just search church of jesus christ of latter-day saints and I'll find it(if ur interested)

on Nov. 27 2020 at 2:16 am
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont
200 articles 23 photos 1053 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

finally. atho why did you say service is disgusting? love god and love your fellow man. and the high school thing. i repeat. finally! my school..... aside from supporting various inappropriate behaviors IT HANGS PORNORAPHY LARGE SIZE ON THE SCHOOL HALL RIFGHT IN FRONT OF LUNCH SO EVERYONE WILL SEE IT SO I HAVE TO WALK I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH EXTRA JUST TO AVOID THE STUIPID THING BETWEEN EVERY OTHE CLASS I HAVE!!! so finally, I'm acknowldged.

on Apr. 16 2019 at 9:21 pm
DrPUZZLER SILVER, South Jordan, Utah
6 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Paradise would not exist without great sacrifice!"
-Nicolas Eilander

VWCDC, that was extremely offensive to The Church Of JESUS CHRIST Of Latter Day Saints. Seriously though, I'm a member and I would like to say that everything you wrote was not true at all. I have never even watched a movie with a Seance in it, much less attended one. Stop spreading things that are not at all true, and educate yourself.

on Oct. 3 2018 at 11:52 am
hazeleyedwriter BRONZE, Penn Laird, Virginia
2 articles 0 photos 6 comments
Thank you for respecting and doing your research about members of our church! It's so nice to have somebody actually try to understand our beliefs beyond stereotypes and assumptions.

RandomGuyDTB said...
on Apr. 25 2017 at 1:18 pm
RandomGuyDTB, Lewiston, Maine
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB!

What about when they openly voice that homosexuality is a crime.

Friend said...
on Nov. 27 2016 at 1:33 pm
I think the author was being sarcastic. There is nothing wrong at all with being selfless, and the writer seemed to agree that it was a good thing.

on Sep. 20 2016 at 10:23 pm
Alex_Teine BRONZE, Edmond, Oklahoma
3 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
~Love isn't a feeling, Love is a promise to protect those you care about~






~Alex Teine~

This is my third post, but I would like to thank you Phatguru, it is because you posted this article that I have been able to form my group called Ellum. In that group we are one big family, we look out for each other, we care for others outside of the group. This group has expanded from my dingy little group of friends at schools to the community around me.

on May. 19 2016 at 7:40 pm
LatterDays BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Beauty is as Beauty Does

I'm Mormon and I just want to say Thank you! As a convert I occasionally get mocked and teased for joining the church but it's nice to know that there are people who respect my beliefs as I respect theirs :)

on Aug. 16 2015 at 7:39 pm
LawyerFlash12, St. Paul, Minnesota
0 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
None!

Yes, you are right on Women's rights in other countries. The education of a women shouldn't be taken away from men's.

on Aug. 16 2015 at 7:27 pm
LawyerFlash12, St. Paul, Minnesota
0 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
None!

Good job!

I'm Mormon said...
on Aug. 14 2015 at 11:48 am
I just want to say thank you. I have read too many incorrect things about my beliefs and this was a breath of fresh air. I appreciate that you took the time to research the LDS church. I also really appreciate that you said everyone had the right to believe what they believe. I think some people are forgetting what it means to live in this day and age of technology. People tend to hide behind technology when they are running people over with the words they write online. I hope people in the future will take your example and research what they are writing about (doesn't matter the topic, small or big) before they post something online. I hope that the people below that commented on "knowing Mormons" and not being a Mormon will really research what they are posting online and not take things out of context. If you REALLY want to know AND get a true understanding of Mormons contact the local missionaries in your area or talk with them online at Mormon.org People have the right to believe what they believe and no one has the right to change that except the individuals themselves. Sorry this is a long comment. But again thank you for sharing.

Kylie said...
on Aug. 14 2015 at 11:44 am
Do players Ever truly fall in love and settle down??

LDS TEEN said...
on Jun. 30 2015 at 2:52 pm
@Athena19 Ha ha. The horns thing. XD Well, I have something to say. My dad has horns. Not cuz he's Mormon. He had something happen when he was born.

LDS TEEN said...
on Jun. 30 2015 at 2:49 pm
I think anyone who knows anything about Mormons, would be other Mormons. Or someone who has researched our beliefs. We do not HAVE to be nice. We won't get excommunicated if we aren't. Yes. You should be nice. And just niceness doesn't determine which kingdom we go to. 2. What? 3. That is not true. We don't have any of that stuff. It's not like we go in to see spirits or whatever you think. We go in to do either proxy gospel ordinances for those who have died. Or to get our own ordinances done for our families. You aren't baptized in the temple though. Usually you are baptized in the Stake center/ a church building. And you can ask questions... its encouraged. Sorry if I sound rude, but I just wanted to let you know and I'm not trying to be rude. :)

on May. 21 2015 at 7:47 pm
Alex_Teine BRONZE, Edmond, Oklahoma
3 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
~Love isn't a feeling, Love is a promise to protect those you care about~






~Alex Teine~

Thanks. I just study our religion and note all things good and bad that we've done.

ClassOf2016 said...
on May. 20 2015 at 9:36 pm
Wow, this is honestly amazing! You made me tear just knowing how much pain you have gone through but you are obviously strong! Keep your head help up high! Don't ever let ANYONE get to you! This is something I will defiantly read over and over again! :) <3

on Apr. 27 2015 at 7:36 pm
Alex_Teine BRONZE, Edmond, Oklahoma
3 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
~Love isn't a feeling, Love is a promise to protect those you care about~






~Alex Teine~

and i have to agree with you on this Latterdaysaint23